Wilderness Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My kids are getting old enough to start going on camping trips with me and my wife is interested in family outings so I began thinking about what I could carry with me to use for self defense against four legged predators that might see me and my kids as either a threat or a snack. I'm up here in Tulsa and so our camping trips can range from prarie to the southeast up into the Ozarks to the north and west. I don't really trust my 9mm to take care of business and don't want to be caught with a hunting rifle on my back out of season so i am leaning towards a revolver in either .44 mag or .357 mag. I worry that the .357 won't be enough to stop or deter a black bear, but I think would be more than enough for wildcat or mountain lion (correct me if I am wrong). The .357 is attractive because I could practice with .38's. I'm not really concerned with cost of ammunition, but if I could get away with something less expensive then I will. I have looked at .45 LC but its pretty expensive and I can get the same effect from the 44, and since I don't plan on going to alaska I can't justify the .454 casull (even though I want one real bad). So what caliber and what revolver would you recomment?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
..... So what caliber and what revolver would you recomment?

.357 is OK for everything this side of a grizzly.

.44 magnum is better, but heavier to haul around. I carry the .44 in pig country, if there is a chance I will get a shot at one.

Any quality double action revolver with a 4 inch bbl will do fine.

If you are backpacking and really counting the ounces, a J frame or SP101 snubby will do.

I prefer Rugers. I also prefer stainless for back country use for obvious reasons.

You can make the case that single action will do the job. I prefer double action, since I am thinking of the pistol as a self defense weapon and rapid reloading counts.

Think about how you will carry. With a CCW, you can hang a "Safepacker" from "The Wilderness" on most any pack or pistol belt, have quick access and good protection for your piece.

jej

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
.357 is OK for everything this side of a grizzly.

.44 magnum is better, but heavier to haul around. I carry the .44 in pig country, if there is a chance I will get a shot at one.

Any quality double action revolver with a 4 inch bbl will do fine.

If you are backpacking and really counting the ounces, a J frame or SP101 snubby will do.

I prefer Rugers. I also prefer stainless for back country use for obvious reasons.

You can make the case that single action will do the job. I prefer double action, since I am thinking of the pistol as a self defense weapon and rapid reloading counts.

Think about how you will carry. With a CCW, you can hang a "Safepacker" from "The Wilderness" on most any pack or pistol belt, have quick access and good protection for your piece.

jej

I was thinking of carrying in a shoulder harness. The kids aren't old enough to go backpacking far enough out for weight to be a serious issue. I just want something quick at hand if we stumble on something or something stumbles on us. Preferrably something that wont irk the game warden.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking of carrying in a shoulder harness. The kids aren't old enough to go backpacking far enough out for weight to be a serious issue. I just want something quick at hand if we stumble on something or something stumbles on us. Preferrably something that wont irk the game warden.

Shoulder holsters work fine for this, if you do not have to carry a pack. I don't much like them for general concealed carry - they are slow to draw from, and its hard to protect the weapon from someone trying to take it from you. They are great for driving and they let you carry a large frame revolver painlessly, and assuming you have a CCW, you can have it in place and ready to use while you are driving to your location. When I use one of those Wilderness Safepackers on a fanny pack [which is loaded with a couple canteens, and has a pouch that has my first aid kit and a sandwich in it and so forth] I have to transfer the weapon to the pack when I arrive. Can't much drive with all that junk around my waist.

I have a couple leather Bianchi X15 [I think that is the model number] that would work for this, though something in nylon might be better for getting wet and dirty, if you can find the right one. I have never seen a nylon shoulder holster rig I liked.

jej

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered the 10mm Auto. For what you're doing it would be a great choice. In the Glock 20 platform it's very solid and reliable. Much higher round capacity, and as long as you don't mind ordering ammo online, ammo is cheaper than the 44mag or 45 LC last time I looked.

moguns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger super Redhawk Alaskan in 44mag and it is great. I shoot it very well and accurately even in da. It's recoil isn't bad at all. I sold my other 44mags, Redhawk and Blackhawk because I didn' t shoot them as well. Check it out, it would be very easy to carry in the woods.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I've never seriously considered the 10mm but I will look into it. I assume with the Taurus that I would have to carry an extra cylinder for the .454? I have looked at the 45lc and was tempted, but when you see the cost of 45lc vs .44 mag its really no contest. I was looking at the blackhawk because I heard that it handled recoil better than the redhawk, but I will check out the Alaskan.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PLUS 1, what bigcountry said 10mm in a 1911 easy to hide. Then you would have a gun you can carry on camping trips and going to town.[Broken External Image][Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom