Wilderness Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah Huck, you know how I feel about you touching my pistol:D. However, you are kinda special. So if you take me to dinner first, you may touch my pistol.LOL

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glock 20 in 10mm would be my choice. Should take care of anything this side of a grizzly and lighter on the belt than most choices.

I'm not a fan of the Glock as most here know, but a G20 in 10MM with a few mags is an excellent choice, even a G22 or G23 loaded up with some fast stepping 180gr loads will do the trick too!!

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my choice. You can carry anything from snake shot and Cowboy loads to 250gr Gold Dot HP (feels like a 38 special in it) to the big boys shown in the picture. I guess I got lucky but it came new with a trigger better than most Smiths I have owned. It's very accurate. It's heavy but you can carry it easily in the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake with the Chesty Puller conversion. The Chesty Puller straps are really good when you are wading or in a kayak fishing. Anyone that's old enough to remember Roy Baker's old pancake will like this holster. I've even worn it IWB under a summer shirt just to see if it could be done. It can but it's a little heavy.

[Broken External Image]

Here is Rob's Simply Rugged web site.
http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-puller-conversion-system/

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
light and powerful ... no way I'd be backpacking a full size 1911.

my CCW 340PD with full house .357 would do the job

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not really sure that I trust a plastic framed pistol with such a hot load.

Wait, what? Seriously?

I thought people had gotten over the dumb "darned plastic guns!" mentality in the 90s. The Glock'll hold fast to any high-power handgun out there. The 10mm has proven itself. It isn't some experimental new attempt at seeing if maybe the tinker toys can run with the big boys.

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where are you camping? In Oklahoma? Nothing beats a single shot 12ga cut down to 18.5in. But to be more on the down low, any small auto pistol. The best pistol for the OK woods would be the Judge.

LuckyGunner.com

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a couple options for defense against the 4 legged predators. You could go with a .357, .44 or opt for the 10mm. If you reload the 10mm is a great option. You could get a Glock and then load some ammo that is designed to punch through the thick hide of bears, etc.

If you don't reload, I would lean towards a .357, since ammunition is the cheapest. +1 to getting a Ruger. The frames are a little more robust than the S&W and if you are going to be backpacking with it. I wouldn't want to get a S&W all dinged up.

I would make sure your at least comfortable with the handgun. Staring at a bear; even when armed sets off some long forgotten pucker factor. You don't want to miss.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when you say wilderness .... one thinks of remote areas only accessible by hiking, horseback or mountainbike ...
the kind of iron mentioned by most folks are better suited for car camping.

unless one is packing in via mule or horse ... there is NO way I'd be packing in extra weight of say a Judge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom