Wilderness Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the helpful responses. I have looked into the 10mm and I'm not really sure that I trust a plastic framed pistol with such a hot load. I am pretty sure a revolver is what I will end up with. I am not interested in this as a concealed carry piece, I already have that covered. I don't think I have the testicular fortitude to shoot a .44 magnum with anything shorter than a 4in barrel.

Well, now that all things being what they are, your biggest worry is not so much four legged but two legged creatures out in the back country. At least around here. Yeah you got snakes, and other little furry mongrels wandering around, and for most a 22lr will dispatch those with ease. Those two legged one's can be somewhat difficult to take down or scare off with nothing more than a .22lr. A .38spl, .357Mag, .45ACP, or 9MM will be more than enough for these. As to bears, best thing to do is just stay away, or give them their space. A ticked off bear isn't something your going to easily stop even with a .44Mag unless your pretty cool under that kind of pressure, and for most of Ok your not going to run into one.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EAA makes a 10MM witness, based on the CZ 75, holds 15 rounds. Get the witness elite match and it is a very nice pistol indeed.

Dan Wesson and maybe a couple others make the 10MM 1911.

For black bears, a plain old 45 ACp is probably not a terrible choice. I don't think that I would want to try to kill a large pig with it however.

Shooting4Fun

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just about to post a similar question, though I am thinking along the lines of getting down to 2 ammo types that will work either in a pistol or rifle.

38/357 CCW snub, something for woods, and a rifle.

10mm is interesting if there was an AR with a 10mm upper?

44spl/44mag

45lc/410 Judge and i think I saw somewhere they were making a rifle.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father lives in Colorado and ranches with a buddy around the Rifle area. Both men have hunted and shot many bears. I asked my dad what him and Jim( his buddy ) carried for bear these days, for everyday carry they use the Judge, 4 inch barrel. He told me shooting a bear with a handgun is a losing propisition anyway.

whlsdn

New to the site!
Reaction score
Newbie here! I'm an OK fan, but live in CO... which is hard to complain about.

As for this discussion, 357 OK; 10mm better; 41 mag good; 44 mag dandy. Bigger is overkill south of Canada, I think. But 357 plenty good for big cats, if you're a decent shot under pressure. I suspect most of us don't really know that about ourselves, though. :wink2:

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Washington State I used to spend a lot of time hiking the wilderness areas.

I always carried my Ruger GP-100, 6" stainless either in a hip holster or shoulder holster.

If I had to make a choice now. I would probably go with my XD .45 Tactical. I love the GP-100 but its a heavy beast.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Glock 20 in 10mm and even with very hot loads its not as bad as some people think. I wouldn't want to go bear hunting with it or any other handgun for that matter but wouldn't hesitate to carry it in the woods for protection from most anything walking. My plasma pistol works everytime on anything but having a hard time finding a charging station in this galaxy.:hot:

Latest posts

Top Bottom