Wilderness Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
QUOTE=surjimmy;1226510]PLUS 1, what bigcountry said 10mm in a 1911 easy to hide. Then you would have a gun you can carry on camping trips and going to town.[Broken External Image][Broken External Image][/QUOTE]

I just drooled on my keyboard. :drooling:

The 10mm Delta Elite is on my list of guns to buy before I die.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I've never seriously considered the 10mm but I will look into it. I assume with the Taurus that I would have to carry an extra cylinder for the .454? I have looked at the 45lc and was tempted, but when you see the cost of 45lc vs .44 mag its really no contest. I was looking at the blackhawk because I heard that it handled recoil better than the redhawk, but I will check out the Alaskan.

No the Raging Judge swallows them all with no conversion!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taurus makes a 5 shot .44 mag that is very light. It has a soft grip. A friend of mine has one. It carries easily, and is accurate. Not a good range gun, but plenty of power whenyou need it. You can practice with .44 special to reduce recoil, and have lots of punch if you need it. Check it out. I don't like autos for this application because they are apt to get neglected and ftf when you need them.

http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=12

This might be what you want. CB

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go for Ruger SP101 .357 mag. in a 3". for me, the extra inch makes a pretty big difference in accuracy over the snubby. Even the 4" would be pretty easy to carry (weight-wise). They are a perfect size frame in my opinion for that use. I carry mine every time I go out in the woods or on the land. On the other hand, if you want to drop the $$ the Ruger Alaskan in a .44 mag looks like the winner.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are okay with an auto, then yes 10 MM is an excellent choice. Lots of shots and fairly lightweight. You said the cost of ammo was not really a problem. If you don't mind a Taurus, then the 41 MAG or 44 MAG tracker both offer five shots, lightweight and a ported barrel which is supposedly very loud. A heavy loaded 357 would probably be all that you need, but if you do have to shoot a bear-then I would be very glad if I was carrying something a little bigger.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just my humble opinion but I think it would depend on your ability to get out and practice. A .357 mag DA revolver will be easier to use if things get hairy in a hurry than a .41 or bigger DA, any SA and any auto. My personal camping/hiking carry is 4" stainless Ruger Security Six. I can load it with handloaded snake shot, .38's or stouter 158gr .357 hard-cast depending on what is most likely to be the issue when I'm out. Or any combination for that matter....snake shot in first chamber and whatever else I want after that. Belt carried, strong side, thumb break holster or a belt pack if visibility is an issue. Used to carry a .45 auto but the snake shot loads available did not function well. That's the cool thing about all this....so many fun means to an end.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you are used to a semi-auto (9mm) you might think about a 1911 in .45 auto and then convert to .45 Super. Plink with the .45 auto and then load the .45 Super when CC and camping. Or get a Springfield Armory V16 in .45 Super, 6" ported bbl. They are now discountinued but you can find used ones. The .45 Super is ballistically similar to the old .41 mag.
I also recommend the Ruger revolvers in .44 mag. Shoot .44 Spcl to get used to it. It is just too much fun once you start shooting the magnum loads tho!:hyper: The magnum loads will show you if you are holding the pistol correctly or not.
I also like the shoulder rigs when out in the woods. They keep the weight off my hips and belt and don't interfere with moving, I tend to forget I am carring anything.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the helpful responses. I have looked into the 10mm and I'm not really sure that I trust a plastic framed pistol with such a hot load. I am pretty sure a revolver is what I will end up with. I am not interested in this as a concealed carry piece, I already have that covered. I don't think I have the testicular fortitude to shoot a .44 magnum with anything shorter than a 4in barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom