Wind and Solar Ain't Cheap nor Environmentally Friendly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
And you have to ask to pay more for the wind electricity that comes from OG+E even though you are getting the electricity produced from NG plants. Think about it. How are you getting wind power over the same transmission lines as everyone else?

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, my electric company won't give me credit on the days when I produce more than I use. $30k was my estimate for a system. That would take 20 years to pay for itself if I used $120 a month (I don't).

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, my electric company won't give me credit on the days when I produce more than I use. $30k was my estimate for a system. That would take 20 years to pay for itself if I used $120 a month (I don't).

The real fiscal benefit is indense population states. In Hawaii, who's average rate is 4x the average OK rate, it makes sense with steady winds and abundant and steady sunshine. It's just like the electric car debate. In California where gas is regularly at or above $4, EV's make sense even if their electricity is double our rate.

It's all relative to the individual. Most people can't see merit beyond their own benefit.

The OK electric average is just over 8cents/kwh, but it varies. In Summer, I pay 2.5cents/kwh 19 hours a day, 10cents/kwh during peak time 2-7p. Thanks to good insulation, my 1400sqft only costs $55/mo to keep at a crisp 70 degrees. Tile floors don't hurt either. Oct 1st to June 1st, I pay a steady 4.5cents/kwh.

I wouldn't benefit from solar/wind either... but that doesn't mean I think it's the devil.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you have to ask to pay more for the wind electricity that comes from OG+E even though you are getting the electricity produced from NG plants. Think about it. How are you getting wind power over the same transmission lines as everyone else?
Base load for OG&E is coal burning power plants. I spent 16 years as an instrumentation and control systems tech at Sooner power plant. Coal burner at 1100 megawatts.
They do have NG plants that were used for back up during heavy usage before NG became so cheap. Coal is still boss, but the NG plants run right along with them now.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what happened to the "and the power companies have to buy back the electricity you make." in the ads for solar and wind for personal use?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom