Would you support a Universal Background Check that does NOT record serial numbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but...

If the options were this or a UBC 4473, then yes I would, especially if it abolished the 4473.

Practically speaking, is there much difference in this proposal for purchasing than a carry permit is for possessing? As we are all a testament to, we prefer a carry permit to no carry rights whatsoever. Just being pragmatic..

kamicollo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am probably going to open a whole new can of worms with this one just to start this off with. I am sure that 90% of us all have smart phones and readily available internet access basically 100% of the time. That being said as individuals why not, as an alternative to a UBC, utilize www.odcr.com Now I'm sure there are several individuals who feel that searching someone on ODCR is an invasion of there privacy. But it could potentially save the seller from unknowingly selling a firearm to an individual whom the law deems unable to posses one. I have no idea if other states have a source such as this but one would believe that they would. I also understand this couldnt be mandated by the government that we do it. But as an individual seller you could feel better knowing someone doesnt have anything potentially dangerous on there record.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already have an FOID. It's my citizenship.
If RKBA is a natural right, then the onus is on the government to prove that I have done something so bad I must be stripped from that right in their eyes.
FOID implies that RKBA is no longer a right, but a privilege, becuase the onus will then be on me to prove I am worthy of the FOID.
It's a subtle difference, but important, IMHO. FOID makes RKBA a privilege, not a right.
Once you have an ID card, then it can be denied.
Who decides who gets a card? The local sheriff? Or our friendly federal officer?
If anyone thinks FOID are a good thing, please check this link out:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698024

Your question leads to a larger question:
The anti-s are going to put out a bunch of choices...and say pick some.
And we need to say...we pick none.
It's not our fault that newtown happened. we are the good guys. we exercise our rights lawfully. we stop crimes.
Overall violent crime is down. mass killings are declining.
Anyone can take isolated incidents and blow them up.
So, my opinion is : NOt ONE INCH.
:)

Your points are valid. And if done properly it would be "shall issue". It would only be a means of confirmation for all parties of one's "eligibility" to possess a firearm and nothing more. No transaction history, no lists of firearms owned, nothing but a confirmation of the check itself. It wouldn't even confirm that a transaction had occurred, only that a check had been made. Anyone who chooses to apply gets one and the only thing precluding it would be a criminal history or mental adjudication. There should also be a time limit on issuing the FOID. Say that nothing shows up in 60-90 days, it would be mandated to be issued anyway after that period of time. I'm just thinking that the antis are going to have to be placated and if done right they would end up with no argument for further restrictions going forward and it wouldn't be unreasonable for our side to have most restrictions removed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom