Would you support a Universal Background Check that does NOT record serial numbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well would you ? If a Universal background check proposal was introduced which did not track, or record the serial number, or any other information regarding the gun purchased would you still oppose it?

What about a system where gun purchasers could go to the sheriff's office and complete a background check, then could go to a gun dealer show they were already approved and purchase a gun.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but the above should satisfy the stated reasons why the gun grabbers claim we need a background check.

Personally I would favor 1 of the above options over the current 4473 form that we have to fill out now.

Chaseme3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was a background check that just checked criminal and mental history I don't think it would be such a bad idea. Especially since it does not include any information about the firearms you own or are buying.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never. Would still require some personal info recorded by confirming party. What does a serial number matter if they know what and where I have it? Its bad enough that your FFL dealer already has your personal info.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was a background check that just checked criminal and mental history I don't think it would be such a bad idea. Especially since it does not include any information about the firearms you own or are buying.

In the past, I have suggested pretty much the same thing, but as UMB says, it would not satisfy the gun-graabers.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, all background checks are unconstitutional. Their existance implies that the right to keep and bear arms is not a right at all, but a privelege the government can deny.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think what it comes down to is that we are going to loose SOMETHING.... its just a matter of what we loose. If the anti gunners said "Ok gun owners, we require one concession from you from our list of demands and we will leave you alone for a while" which would be the lesser of the evils?

I would rather have the background check forced on me than loosing my AKs and other "assault" weapons and all of my hi cap mags.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another similar but slightly different idea I have heard is to have a purchasing license...basically once a year you get a background check and once approved, you can buy at will with that license until it expires...then you can renew and continue to purchase.

Not sure how I feel about it...but putting it out there for debate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom