• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

WTB Tools of retired techs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok, prove it or it's just an opinion. I've turned wrenches for over 50 years. In 2019 I retired from a refinery as a mechanic after 40 years, so I've got a little time in on tools. Most tools are cheap priced at least compared to SnapOn or Mac. I'm not saying Craftsman or Cobalt are better quality, I'm saying they can get the job done with less investment. The only advantage I see to higher end tools is they hold their value better if you ever want to sell them.
I would say it's more than an opinion, as it has been proven to me time and again in the automotive, locomotive and class 8 truck repair business over the last 35 years. Craftsman and the like are "just good enough" to get you by until you can get the better tools from Mac (my favorite), Snap-on, Matco or Cornwell. Now, I'm not saying that ALL of one company's tools are superior to others, and if you were to look in my tool boxes you would find some from every manufacturer. Mac wrenches, Snap-on sockets, Cornwell hand tools and on and on. What works better for one person may not work for someone else. But as for the cheaper tools being just as good as the more "expensive" ones? Buhlspit!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I would say it's more than an opinion, as it has been proven to me time and again in the automotive, locomotive and class 8 truck repair business over the last 35 years. Craftsman and the like are "just good enough" to get you by until you can get the better tools from Mac (my favorite), Snap-on, Matco or Cornwell. Now, I'm not saying that ALL of one company's tools are superior to others, and if you were to look in my tool boxes you would find some from every manufacturer. Mac wrenches, Snap-on sockets, Cornwell hand tools and on and on. What works better for one person may not work for someone else. But as for the cheaper tools being just as good as the more "expensive" ones? Buhlspit!
I didn't say that the cheaper tools were better than SnapOn, I said the cheaper tools can get the job done for far less money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom