• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

WTB Tools of retired techs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdiddy13

Marksman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy tools from people who want a few extra dollars or just people who are looking to down size. Started a new job have money for tools just figured I’d try here before I buy brand new. Looking for hand tools. Really interested in Snap on!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money but, some of these tools you pay too much for a name. I have thousands of dollars' worth of tools in mixed brands and a Craftsman wrench works just as good as a SnapOn. I have both.

some people are brand whores though like me and that’s ok.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money but, some of these tools you pay too much for a name. I have thousands of dollars' worth of tools in mixed brands and a Craftsman wrench works just as good as a SnapOn. I have both.
This is not completely factual.
The tools from Kenosha are better.
For the average homeowner or shadetree the difference in performance will most likely never be seen, but someone who spends their working career with them in their hands will.
My base tool kit was craftsman, it’s all a poor guy supporting his family could afford to begin. As the craftsman tools failed the replacements were snapon and Mac as they are just simply better.
Cheap tools are dangerous, especially those slip and kill branded ones 🤮.

Edit to add useful information-
587040C6-FE93-421D-9C6C-CB22E5D658CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
For the average homeowner or shadetree the difference in performance will most likely never be seen, but someone who spends their working career with them in their hands will.
My base tool kit was craftsman, it’s all a poor guy supporting his family could afford to begin. As the craftsman tools failed the replacements were snapon and Mac as they are just simply better.
Ok, prove it or it's just an opinion. I've turned wrenches for over 50 years. In 2019 I retired from a refinery as a mechanic after 40 years, so I've got a little time in on tools. Most tools are cheap priced at least compared to SnapOn or Mac. I'm not saying Craftsman or Cobalt are better quality, I'm saying they can get the job done with less investment. The only advantage I see to higher end tools is they hold their value better if you ever want to sell them.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Exhibit one: forged craftsman 12mm I picked up while still in the army at ft lewis. That unique curve on the end courtesy of my 14e werk boot trying to remove u-joint straps off of a t2000 kenworth many moons ago. I borrowed a Mac 3/8 12 impact wobble and broke it free by hand.
Later that week I acquired the 1/2 to 3/8” adapter to put power to it. Used it until I switched off to industrial maintenance about 12 years ago. Above that is a snap on 13mm (my first ever “premium tool”) the box end of that has been “massaged” with the bfh over many a stripped sae head. Feel free to zoom in and inspect the damage. Also compare the thickness on the box end. There is a difference.
B0B7CEAA-6F7D-4457-B0CC-2DE125395E6C.jpeg

Edited to swap pics, I had 1/2x1/2 extension instead of 1/2x3/8🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit to add useful information-View attachment 270166
100% agree.. Some of the cheaper stuff will work. But a lot of the cheap stuff is just worthless and dangerous for someone using them daily.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
100% agree.. Some of the cheaper stuff will work. But a lot of the cheap stuff is just worthless and dangerous for someone using them daily.
I agree the really cheap stuff won't last. Now if a tool fails and somebody is injured then that is safety training issue for being "in the line of fire" per the training where I used to work. Tools are like guns. A HiPoint pistol can kill someone just as dead as a Wilson Combat pistol. Which one is better built, will last longer, or most people would rather own?

Latest posts

Top Bottom