• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

WTB Tools of retired techs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The older craftsman, were made about 1000% better than they are today. Craftsman has gone steady down hill for the last 20 years.
From my perspective, I live in the middle of nowhere. If I break anything other than snap on, I am at least a two hour drive in any direction
to get it replaced. The snap on guy comes by my shop once a week. If I need him at other times, he lives here, I can go to his house
and get a tool replaced, or call him and meet him somewhere. Just like everything else in life the cheap stuff has its place of value, the
same as the name brand more expensive. I also have received a tool allowance once a month for 30 years, payed only to the snap man.
So for me, it is kind of a no brainer what I am going to buy. I do have alot of other stuff in my garage at home, works fine for what I do with
it. I also started out years ago, with alot of craftsman, and stanley, because could not afford better. Thats my 2 cents worth. I hope the op has
good luck finding tools. You might also try and look in pawn shops, can find some good deals in there. Good luck to you
I hear you about Craftsman quality and living in the middle of nowhere. About a week ago I needed a 2 1/16" deep socket for a spindle nut on my 72' Land Rover. I went to O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Tractor Supply, and the local NAPA and nobody had one. I ended up parting a shallow well 3/4" drive socket into and welding a 2" spacer in-between the two pieces. All the automotive stores used to carry those stamped out 10 gauge and painted gray spindle sockets. I have a friend that has the biggest collection of SnapOn tools I know of. He said he has been paying SnapOn $100 a month for about 35 years. He steady buys it.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looking to buy tools from people who want a few extra dollars or just people who are looking to down size. Started a new job have money for tools just figured I’d try here before I buy brand new. Looking for hand tools. Really interested in Snap on!
After checking, I may have a couple of excess torque wrenches/instruments. What line of work are you in?

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
alot is right tool for right job don't think that little 12mm wrench is made to use leg strength on. no offence
None taken,as you see it was gradual application of force and not shock load. But when a company drops off their (back in pre y2k dollars) $100k piece of equipment at the dealership, they don’t accept “sorry, we just couldn’t figure out a way to fix it”
Add in the fact that “new designs” show up in your bay at 10pm unannounced. This is unfortunately before you get the chance to obtain “the correct tool”, so one ends up doing what is needed to fulfill commitments that were made. As such, tools are expendable line items to support that.
Sentimental items are not, I have a hammer that I have used since I needed both hands to lift it. My grandmother taught me to drive nails with it.
I used it to teach my first granddaughter the same. I would not reach for it to pound a wrinkle out of a pop can, there is a difference.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Both home use, not commercial. $150

View attachment 270197
That CP style unit on top yes
That old Mac twin hammer is another story if you got that alone for $150 you made out! Get rid of that restriction on the inlet side and that’s a 550-600 ft/lb gun all day long, just keep it greased in that fitting on the back side or the hammers will tear themselves to pieces. Looking at the lack of chips in the drive or flat spots on the keeper it’s a low use unit. I would get about 18 months out of them between rebuilds. Got tired of it and switched to the polymer IR guns when they came out, that 3/4 gun is a beast!

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 99.2%
124   1   0
Depends on what field you are in. Fat craftsman sockets and wrenches don't physically fit in many(read most) places on acft maintenance.
thinner walled sockets and wrenches by snap-on, mac and matco are mostly are used by Acft maintenance techs.
Craftsman and Proto have made Professional lines of tools in the past that had slimmer profiles and some of those will fit in the limited spaces of acft maint.
But it is more than that, someone that uses wrenches daily knows what's up. There are many features of different tools that just can't be beat by snapon, mac and matco

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Depends on what field you are in. Fat craftsman sockets and wrenches don't physically fit in many(read most) places on acft maintenance.
thinner walled sockets and wrenches by snap-on, mac and matco are mostly are used by Acft maintenance techs.
Craftsman and Proto have made Professional lines of tools in the past that had slimmer profiles and some of those will fit in the limited spaces of acft maint.
But it is more than that, someone that uses wrenches daily knows what's up. There are many features of different tools that just can't be beat by snapon, mac and matco
that may be because they make great money! i know in my younger days i was at sears practically every weekend buying something i needed and the guys from Spartan would be there with there tool list from the school buying stuff.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
This is not completely factual.
The tools from Kenosha are better.
For the average homeowner or shadetree the difference in performance will most likely never be seen, but someone who spends their working career with them in their hands will.
My base tool kit was craftsman, it’s all a poor guy supporting his family could afford to begin. As the craftsman tools failed the replacements were snapon and Mac as they are just simply better.
Cheap tools are dangerous, especially those slip and kill branded ones 🤮.

Edit to add useful information-View attachment 270166
Thanks for posting this. I’ve had fun going through and dating some of my stuff. Oldest I found so far is 1987.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the really cheap stuff won't last. Now if a tool fails and somebody is injured then that is safety training issue for being "in the line of fire" per the training where I used to work. Tools are like guns. A HiPoint pistol can kill someone just as dead as a Wilson Combat pistol. Which one is better built, will last longer, or most people would rather own?
I think the USAF was trying to kill me then. When I started working on F-111D's for them in 1974, they gave me a 197lb tool box full of Globemaster tools. Dad started me with Craftsman a few years before that. I was not impressed with Globemaster, though wound up buying some myself, when I couldn't afford the Craftsman stuff. And Snap-on was right on out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom