• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

WTB Tools of retired techs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Exhibit one: forged craftsman 12mm I picked up while still in the army at ft lewis. That unique curve on the end courtesy of my 14e werk boot trying to remove u-joint straps off of a t2000 kenworth many moons ago. I borrowed a Mac 3/8 12 impact wobble and broke it free by hand.
Later that week I acquired the 1/2 to 3/8” adapter to put power to it. Used it until I switched off to industrial maintenance about 12 years ago. Above that is a snap on 13mm (my first ever “premium tool”) the box end of that has been “massaged” with the bfh over many a stripped sae head. Feel free to zoom in and inspect the damage. Also compare the thickness on the box end. There is a difference.View attachment 270170

Edited to swap pics, I had 1/2x1/2 extension instead of 1/2x3/8🤦‍♂️
I have a Matco 54" roll-a-round tool box. I watched a clip where they dropped a box like mine from 10' on its end onto a steel I-beam on a cement floor. Then they set it on its rollers and you could open and close all the drawers. They repeated the test with a SnapOn box and some of the drawers wouldn't open. Now this doesn't really matter to me because I don't plan to drop my box like that and it wasn't designed for that kind of abuse. Like Craftsman didn't design their wrenches to be pushed on with a foot and SnapOn didn't design theirs to be hammered on. I guess that is where we differ, I don't abuse my cheaper or expensive tools and they last longer. If SnapOn is that much better, you should buy them.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the really cheap stuff won't last. Now if a tool fails and somebody is injured then that is safety training issue for being "in the line of fire" per the training where I used to work. Tools are like guns. A HiPoint pistol can kill someone just as dead as a Wilson Combat pistol. Which one is better built, will last longer, or most people would rather own?
I would rather have a 4 ft pipe cheater on a name brand tool.. and we all know them. not just the "pretty" stuff... Than the cheap stuff.

As I look at my over priced snapon adj wrench laying on my desk and according to the date codes was made in 1995.. It still fits in my hand well. and other than a tiny bit of rust and a few nicks.. still a sexy tool.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a Matco 54" roll-a-round tool box. I watched a clip where they dropped a box like mine from 10' on its end onto a steel I-beam on a cement floor. Then they set it on its rollers and you could open and close all the drawers. They repeated the test with a SnapOn box and some of the drawers wouldn't open. Now this doesn't really matter to me because I don't plan to drop my box like that and it wasn't designed for that kind of abuse. Like Craftsman didn't design their wrenches to be pushed on with a foot and SnapOn didn't design theirs to be hammered on. I guess that is where we differ, I don't abuse my cheaper or expensive tools and they last longer. If SnapOn is that much better, you should buy them.

😆😆😆
I accept your white flag.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Both home use, not commercial. I will take $150 for both.

9678D707-5679-44A1-A250-B246C2E9D821.jpeg

Last edited:

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The older craftsman, were made about 1000% better than they are today. Craftsman has gone steady down hill for the last 20 years.
From my perspective, I live in the middle of nowhere. If I break anything other than snap on, I am at least a two hour drive in any direction
to get it replaced. The snap on guy comes by my shop once a week. If I need him at other times, he lives here, I can go to his house
and get a tool replaced, or call him and meet him somewhere. Just like everything else in life the cheap stuff has its place of value, the
same as the name brand more expensive. I also have received a tool allowance once a month for 30 years, payed only to the snap man.
So for me, it is kind of a no brainer what I am going to buy. I do have alot of other stuff in my garage at home, works fine for what I do with
it. I also started out years ago, with alot of craftsman, and stanley, because could not afford better. Thats my 2 cents worth. I hope the op has
good luck finding tools. You might also try and look in pawn shops, can find some good deals in there. Good luck to you

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Snap on Mac stuff is fantastic but is it worth 3-4 times the price some of my craftsman stuff is probably 35 years old and a few old proto tools from dad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom