XBox 360 vs PS3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind my Xbox. You do pay for Xbox Live but it's about $4.50 a month if you buy 12month subscriptions. The RROD has been a non-issue since they discovered what caused it and I've had my Xbox for 3 years with no issues. I guess PS3 has blu-ray but I have a blu-ray player so that doesn't matter to me. By now it's a matter of what you get a better price on rather than games and content.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Xbox wins, hands down. Better exclusive games (Halo, anyone?), the controllers are much more ergonomic. Yes, Xbox live costs, but it's better than psn for that reason. Better online play overall, and Xbox live hasn't had the repeated hacking issues that the psn has had, in which tends of thousands of accounts have been stolen and compromised.

I've been using my Xbox 360 elite since launch day (about 7 years ago or so) without a single hiccup.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always read about the red ring of death online, but I've yet to see it happen. I think Microsoft got ahead of their hardware fail within a year or two, (just as Sony fixed their exact same problem in the PS3, overheating caused by the blu-ray hardware). I'm five years of almost daily gaming on an 80gb 360, never had the issues. I would rather have the newer 360 console though. Integrated wifi, better heat sinks, better cooling. Just sent a new 360 to the nephew with Halo4, Minecraft, some other kid game, and a year Live subscription for just under $250 via walmart.com

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always read about the red ring of death online, but I've yet to see it happen. I think Microsoft got ahead of their hardware fail within a year or two, (just as Sony fixed their exact same problem in the PS3, overheating caused by the blu-ray hardware). I'm five years of almost daily gaming on an 80gb 360, never had the issues. I would rather have the newer 360 console though. Integrated wifi, better heat sinks, better cooling. Just sent a new 360 to the nephew with Halo4, Minecraft, some other kid game, and a year Live subscription for just under $250 via walmart.com

Wow, that's not a bad deal at all! Of course... I am kinda pissed the new Xbox One isn't backwards-compatible, considering the probably $1500-2000 we've spent in games!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Already have a Blu-Ray player, so since I only have one 1080p TV, that's not a factor for me.

I know the XBox live costs, but $4/mo is not a huge factor for me.

Other than Halo, is there a list of the exclusive titles for XBox?
Nevermind that, found it.

Also, is there anything similar to Portal on XBox?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either would be a fine choice for a n00b like yourself.

For FPS and driving games, both have their good exclusives. 360 has Halo, PS3 has Killzone, both are sci-fi FPS'. 360 also has Left 4 Dead. 360 has Forza and PS3 has Gran Turismo, both driving sims.

Most of the other popular games are cross platform (like Battlefield, CoD, Fallout, Elder Scrolls) and if you're not interested in playing online, then either will be fine. If you think you might hop into an online match once every other blue moon, then go with the PS3. 360's online gameplay is behind a paywall (Xbox Live Gold membership required), PS3's is not. You mentioned this coming to PS, which is true, but only on PS4. PS3 is still free to play online.

Xbox Live has more to offer as far as content, but you, again, have to pay the subscription fee. PSN doesn't require this, but the optional PS+ is nice. People typically like the freebies given through a PS+ account versus those with an XBL account. As far as gameplay, I've had both and have played both online. Besides the controller in your hand, if you're playing a cross-plat game, you cannot tell the difference between the two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom