Y’all have any orphan wells on your property?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Came across this video and thought it was pretty neat. I haven’t seen any orphan wells in my part of Oklahoma but I bet there’s some in y'all's area.

There’s boatloads up in the NE part of the state up around and on Osage land and into SE Kansas, lots of really old wildcat plays in that area from the 20s and 30s

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got two on my place, and I even sold an easement to the oil company to plug one of them. Evidently, the corporation commission doesn’t care that it hasn’t been check since 2019, because the company haven’t done a dang thing toward capping it.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now is the time to report them
The state has a lot of money to plug them right now.
I do this type of work from the wireline side multiple times a week.

The part I can't figure out, with all the taxes they collect from oil/gas companies. Why don't they have this money to plug abandoned wells all the time? I know why they have it now, and it's not coming from the state level.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one but it is plugged. What I fear is the abandoned dead men left unmarked in the weeds. They will do major damage to tractors and vehicles. Marked ours with Tposts.
Contact the corporation commission. The sight is supposed to be left as it was before the well was drilled. Unless, the land owner wants to keep certain things (gravel, pad ,tanks etc..

Latest posts

Top Bottom