Y’all have any orphan wells on your property?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got two on my place, and I even sold an easement to the oil company to plug one of them. Evidently, the corporation commission doesn’t care that it hasn’t been check since 2019, because the company haven’t done a dang thing toward capping it.
I wouldn't sell landmen anything, they're dirty bastards. There are a couple companies around that salvage them, plug them, and get them certified closed and safe in case something happens, you aren't responsible. They salvaged one in Fletcher on our property.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The part I can't figure out, with all the taxes they collect from oil/gas companies. Why don't they have this money to plug abandoned wells all the time? I know why they have it now, and it's not coming from the state level.

State funds get shifted all the time to cover shortfalls.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
each operator has to put up a 25000 dollar bond to cover abandonment. i think the state is trying to increase the bond amount but so far as i know it is just 25000. that amount doesn't cover the cost of plugging so the occ has to go through an application process and judges to get state funds to cover the rest of the amount.

Latest posts

Top Bottom