Your ONE only .308/7.62x51mm?????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me M1A rifles in .308/7.62 are easily found/bought/owned/shot. I've shot more than my share of them and am currently searching for one myself.

Quick search of the wiki-machine reveals and entire page for this rifle and it's M14 military counterpart.

Are you trying to catch him on a technicality here? I mean seriously, lots of people toss that '1' on the end. it's harmless. I can walk into H&H and ask for an M1A1 and they'd take me to an M1A.

I think most readers hear know he's not referring to an Abrams tank. (FWIW: there was an M1A1 version of the M1A rifle that was a carbine length folding stock version. pretty cool looking!)

Well, you edited your post after i responded. Or during my response. Either way there is apparently a lot of confusion between an M1a...

which shoots this...

and an M1a1...

Which shoots...

although my faith if H and H is not 100%, I dont think they would confuse the two.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I'm always open to new information. How about a link for us to peruse that will show the difference between an M1A and an M1A1 other than the carbine version with the folding stock that I mentioned.

I always enjoy learning new things!

Yes, I saved my post and then edited it. Sorry. Ipads are odd when it comes to forums, so I save often. My apologies.

I do think it's fair to say, in his defense, that the M1A1 that is the paratrooper folder you show is incredibly rare and valuable to a collector, prized for it's rarity.

the M1A, on the other hand is quite applicable to this thread and taken in the context of the conversation makes perfect sense.

Like you, I don't know that I would rely 100% on H&H having supremely knowledgable staff. It would go without saying that the chances are slim to none that they would have an actual historically significant M1A1 in their possession. It is even farther from plausible
that an average guy would walk into their store and ask to see an M1A1 and be disappointed that they weren't shown a museum relic that verges on priceless and is coveted by the topmost tier of WWII collectors.

It is, however, very much within the realm of possibility that one could walk into H&H (or just about any other gun store), ask to see an M1A1, and be handed an M1A for inspection.

frankly, an M1A1 Abrams tank would have been more fun, had that been what he meant. Though they would be cumbersome to lug around while hunting, I would think.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, you're busting his balls on a technicality. seriously. :mean:

FFS, I cant tell if your just trolling me or you really believe that.
How is the difference between an M1a1 and an M1a merely a technicality?

They are two different guns, shooting two different cartridges, and the one Brandi mentioned does not shoot 7.62x51, which is the query posed by the op.

If the op had asked what was the ONE and only .45, would a Glock 17 be an acceptable technically correct answer?

If somebody else wants to chime, please feel free.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not trolling. it's a common error to refer to an M1A as an M1A1 - thats my point. you didn't cheerfully point him in the right direction, you just called him confused. you busted his balls and didn't need to. thats all. why be like that?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trolling. it's a common error to refer to an M1A as an M1A1 - thats my point. you didn't cheerfully point him in the right direction, you just called him confused. you busted his balls and didn't need to. thats all. why be like that?

So it is your opinion that this...

I think you are a little confused about number 2.

... is busting somebodies balls.

Alrighty then, see ya.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither of which should be confused with an MA1 of course... ;)
21949L.jpg

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Ive never seen or heard of an m1a1 chambered in .308/7.62x51.

I guess that shows what i know. Do you have a reference I can peruse?
Sorry, I missed the M1A1 thing. I assumed you were making a comment about Brandi's assessment of the M1A as "one of America's sexiest battle rifles ever". I think she's right about that, and I also think since she was commenting on 7.62x51 battle rifles she means the M1A and not the M1A1 she mentioned in her post. My bad for acting on my assumption.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FFS, I cant tell if your just trolling me or you really believe that.
How is the difference between an M1a1 and an M1a merely a technicality?

They are two different guns, shooting two different cartridges, and the one Brandi mentioned does not shoot 7.62x51, which is the query posed by the op.

If the op had asked what was the ONE and only .45, would a Glock 17 be an acceptable technically correct answer?

If somebody else wants to chime, please feel free.

I am sure Brandi just mistyped, but honestly, if someone came to me asking my opinion on an M1A1 rifle, I would have to ask for further clarification. My mind wouldn't go to the M1A/M14 rifles. If pressed further, I would have to go to the paratrooper M1 carbine, like you stated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom