18 yr old batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Battery tender keeps battery at full charge and WARM, during winter.

I have a tender on boat, rv, tractor, mower and a spare one, just in case. Cheap insurance.

Took me a while to convince my brother. He complained every Spring about having to buy a new batteries for his motorcycle and mower. He finally, bought 2 HF tenders. About $12 for the pair.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pure luck, but has been on Battery Tender during winter months.
I run battery tenders on everything now. They certainly extend the life of batteries. Almost everything has small voltage thief’s from hour meters to onboard computers that need a trickle to maintain memory.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original red top Optimaz were awesome. I had two last 15 and 16y without tenders. The newer ones are just like the rest imo.

Yes I think the quality went down. When they first came out a neighbor brought one over to run a fence between us temporarily. It was drained to dead I don’t know how many times. It baffled us on how it would keep taking a charge and if memory serves it lasted several years as a fence battery.

They are so good in high abuse/vibration situations, they last in my Jeeps, rock buggies, and farm equipment.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had an Optima but my son and one friend did and had nothing but trouble from them 6 months tops and it would be dead.
I had a Diehard sit in a motorcycle for 5 years under the shed and the alarm beep would sound every now and then.
My battery died in my daily driver motorcycle and I thought maybe that Diehard will work.
It did.
Never had it on a charger. I got 3 years out of it on my V65 Magna. This was over 20 years ago.

They used to make batteries last for a very long time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom