1911 Conversion kit...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have ordered in several Kimber 22 cal. units for customers over the years. They drop right on and go to shootin', accurate ,too. ( this post should , most likely, be under handguns)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured it would get more attention here.

Thinking about going ahead a settling for the Kimber. I was really hoping to get a Marvel or Advantage... but I don't want to wait 6-8 weeks.

Know if anybody has any locally?

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were going to get one, it would be a Marvel Unit 1. This is the most accurate 1911 conversion on the market. The tightening screw basically makes it a fixed barrel system.

If not the Marvel Unit 1, then I would go with TacSol's conversion. The TacSol has an operational slide lock open on an empty mag.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several 22 conversion units for my 1911's. A comparison of the units is as follows:
Marvel unit, aluminum slide, does not lock back upon firing the last round, superbly accurate and reliable with SV ammo, the choice of bulleye pistol shooters. It can fire HV ammo by using a heavier recoil sporing. My only experience is with their Unit 1 which is designed for bullseye pistol shooters, 1/2 inch or less at 50 ft. with quality ammo.

The Jarvis unit , recently improved and marketed by Tactical Solutions, is an all steel unit which is supposed to lock back after firing the last round. The old Jarvis unit, no longer made, required the use of either CCI MiniMag or Remington Golden for reliable functioning. I recently acquired the improved Tactical Solutions unit, beatifully crafted of all steel and functions reliably with a wider variety of SV and HV ammo. My limited trials indicate that I have to modify the slide release in order to have the slide lock back after firing the last round. Accuracy of the Jarvis unit with open sights is ca 2 in at 50 ft while the TacSol unit with a red dot will provide ca 1 to 1+ in. groups.

The Ciener Platinum Cup unit has proven to be totally reliable with every brand of ammo both SV and HV. It has an aluminum slide and does not lock back after firing the last round. It is much more difficult to break down for more than the normal cleaning compared to either the Marvel or TacSol units. Accuracy with open sights is ca 2 in at 50 ft. Custoner service at Ciener is almost nonexistent. Achieving good resuylts with the 1911 unit, I ordered one for the Glock 17. It had ignition failures ca 60% of the time with a wide variety of ammo whch I traced to a mfg. fault - the slide did not go fully into battery. When I pushed the slide into battery by a silly millimeter or so the unit would always fire. I sent the unit back to Ciener for repair/replacemnent under their warranty a month ago and have not received any response. They do not answer their phones nor respond to FAXed messages. I may have to count this as a loss!

I have not used the Advantage Arms 1911 unit but their Glock 17 unit worked very well for me, until my son decided he needed it. My Glock unit had an aluminum slide with a steel insert which allowed it to stay open after firing the last round. The unti required CCI miniMag or Remington Golden for reliable functioning and provided ca 2-3 in. groups at 50 ft.

In summary if you want to increase your trigger time on your 1911 then a 22 conversion unit is a usefull accessory. If you want a 22 semi auto you can purchase on of the S&W's, Ruger's or Browning's and get great relaibilty at a comparable cost.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Kimber unit that I bought from a member here at OSA. He told me up front he had reliability problems with it using an Essex frame (I think). I put it on a Springfield frame and it's been perfect for over 500+ rds. Also tried on a Colt series 70 for around 50 rds and it was flawless.

It is very accurate I'd say 2 1/2-3" at 25 yards shooting Rem Thunderbolts, which is all I've shot thru it. This unit is easy to install and looks pretty good. It has a aluminum slide and plastic mags, which I didn't care for, but they functioned perfect and do drop free.

Overall a very good unit and at 45acp prices it's already paid for itself.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great.

Welp, I went ahead and ordered a Marvel Unit 2 with the Government round top plus an extra mag.

Should be here next Friday... I'm anxious.

I mainly want to economically increase my trigger time. After dropping the money I had to on this Nighthawk... I need to keep things cheap for a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom