1911 pistols you would NEVER buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both the Sig GSR and Rock Island. Nothing more than over priced boat anchors.

What kind of problems have you had with the GSR? Are you speaking from experience or what people have said? I am considering purchasing one. Thanks for the info? If anyone else has any helpful info on them I would love to here it also.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both the Sig GSR and Rock Island. Nothing more than over priced boat anchors.

Really??? I have had 2 RIA, and both of them were great! Everyone I have ever talked to had great success with them. Which one did you have, and what kind of issues did you have with it? The only complaint I have ever had with them has been the sights, and that is fixable fairly easily.

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really??? I have had 2 RIA, and both of them were great! Everyone I have ever talked to had great success with them. Which one did you have, and what kind of issues did you have with it? The only complaint I have ever had with them has been the sights, and that is fixable fairly easily.

I bought one of your RI's. It has been to the range many times. Not one issue with it period. I agree with you, the only thing I dont like is the sights. But as you state that can be fixed. I would recommend a RI to anyone that was looking at one.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think all commercially manufactured 1911s are going to be hit or miss to some degree. I don't hear too many unhappy Les Baer or Ed Brown owners.

I have a Kimber. I got it used and it gave me a little trouble at first, but brand new mags, a recoil spring, and a proper cleaning job on the extractor got it running like a dream.

I once had a Springfield compact, it was garbage, constantly failing to eject and stove-piping. A lot of people swear by their Springfields.

I picked up a Llama and it has been absolutely flawless, obviously some people here have bad things to say about them. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

A friend has a Taurus 1911, and he has put over 1k rounds through it, and it's been flawless. Obviously some people have had less than a stellar experience.

I have only ever heard positive feedback from owners of Norinco 1911s.

The manufacturing process is always going to have flaws. They can be reduced with certain quality controls but never totally eliminated.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of your RI's. It has been to the range many times. Not one issue with it period. I agree with you, the only thing I dont like is the sights. But as you state that can be fixed. I would recommend a RI to anyone that was looking at one.

Hey, that makes me feel really good!!! I am glad you have had the same experience with them that I have had with them. :patriot:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The barrel burst on the RI, first round using factory ammo. Was not a good day to say the least.

Wow, glad you are OK! That is kind of a rare occurence though. Did you keep it and get it replaced, or get rid of it? Did you have any other issues with it? They have great customer service if you ever need it. Look up Ivan on the 1911forums, and they will fix you up, and pretty quick turn around if you end up having to send it in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom