1911 pistols you would NEVER buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The barrel burst on the RI, first round using factory ammo. Was not a good day to say the least.

Had a Colt 1911 do that to me in the Marines. DS/DS vet here and had 1911 Colt's with jamming issues. But heck I never had a issue with M16-A1's and A-2's while in service. I know alot of Vietnam vets will tell you a different story. But M16-A1's issued at first in Vietnam did not come with a cleaning kit (yet people tell you to only buy Colt AR's hmmm?). I know your barrel burst had noting to do with cleaning. Just showing you can have issues with the "Good Guns".

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I did have it replaced, but just kept having allot of small issues with it. Sights fell off, had to replace just about all the springs. Call me superstitious, but something told me not to keep it after all the issues.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus, due to the goofy hammer lock that has been known to turn the gun into a single shot, REALLY cheap parts, and poor fitting.

If Kimber got rid of their FPS, and lowered most of their guns prices they wouldn't be SO bad. However, as of right now they are extremely overpriced. If you pay $1000-1200 for a gun, it should have better fitting and little to no MIM.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer to indicate which 1911's I have purchased and shot:
Colt Gold Cup National Match
SA 1911 Trophy Match
S&W 1911PC
Norinco 1911
PO 14-45 Signature

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I did have it replaced, but just kept having allot of small issues with it. Sights fell off, had to replace just about all the springs. Call me superstitious, but something told me not to keep it after all the issues.

I smell a RAT. Why didn't you send it in. It has a lifetime warrenty, and they use Wolf springs, What did you replace them with. Sights fall off, it happens so what's the real issue with the Rock.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it really goes to show how manufacturing is going to hell in a handbag... I hear alot of the same issues about 1911's of all brands from different people. Is there really one that truly stands above the rest??? Colt is my longtime favorite, yet others say they are paperweights, I have issues with Kimber and some say flawless. My Taurus is perfect and many say junk. Oh well, I guess its all in what number you get and how awake the people on the assembly line were that day.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you guys named all the major players in the 1911 world except high end custom guns. what gives? me thinky some of this is repeated internet lore. I will tell you what clone 1911 I have had with 0 problems. a ballester molina, even went through a house fire, got reblued and still is perfect to this day. So my $200 1911 knockoff is the only reliable one around?

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three ;a Kimber Pro Elite, Custom Target,and a Taurus PT1911 and they shoot better than I can. But I also have a buddy that use to work for Curtis, Shockey, and Ellison that does the "The Laying of Hands" upon everything I buy. And the Taurus shoots as well as my Kimbers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom