1911 trigger improvement questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Edge 2011 has a 2 pound trigger pull. It is on its second barrel, and I still have all my toes. My 6 inch 40 cal STI "fat free" has a 1.75 pound trigger pull as does it's 6 inch brother in 9mm, although when clean and lubed up the 9mm drops a bit under 1.75. I have done all the trigger work on these fine pistols and not only do i have all my toes, I also have all my fingers and no extra perforations, nor do any ancillary equipment near me. Your blanket statement shows a complete lack of understanding of the 1911 system and what can be done with it. Oh yeah, I forgot most my carry 1911s clock in right around 3 pound pulls, except for my 1911 pin gun which has I very reliable 14 ounces pull with prepped Colt hammer and sear.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
1725737322521.png

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Edge 2011 has a 2 pound trigger pull. It is on its second barrel, and I still have all my toes. My 6 inch 40 cal STI "fat free" has a 1.75 pound trigger pull as does it's 6 inch brother in 9mm, although when clean and lubed up the 9mm drops a bit under 1.75. I have done all the trigger work on these fine pistols and not only do i have all my toes, I also have all my fingers and no extra perforations, nor do any ancillary equipment near me. Your blanket statement shows a complete lack of understanding of the 1911 system and what can be done with it. Oh yeah, I forgot most my carry 1911s clock in right around 3 pound pulls, except for my 1911 pin gun which has I very reliable 14 ounces pull with prepped Colt hammer and sear.
But how many brain cells were lost?

my 1911 and 2011 are about 4 lbs. I think 3 lb would be a good spot for me.

Reminds me I need to upgrade trigger parts on a trigger job done 15 years ago on stock Springfield gi parts. It’s still working great but only a matter of time until that fails spectacularly, was only ever meant to be temporary fix.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not having EVER done this before, I just wanna ask a couple of questions before I screw anything up... I've only field stripped a 1911, never taken it apart past that.
I know that a proper trigger job will include attending to the sear, disconnect, trigger bow and the mainspring. Is it possible to just make adjustments to the middle leaf of the mainspring to lighten the trigger a bit, or would that one action be a waste of time without attending to the other parts?
I am a little leery about making adjustments to the sear and hammer because I def don't want to go too far on those.
should I just take it to a gunsmith and have them do a complete trigger job? Buy a drop in trigger kit and replace the factory stuff?
Thanks in advance for advice/direction!
Good for you asking the right questions. A lot of 1911's have been screwed up by those not being familiar with modifying the trigger assembly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom