1911 VS Glock - final showdown! Which one will keep shooting longer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one will shoot longer out of the box?

• Glock

Votes: 58 70.7%

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of Wilsons that choke even on their own Mags...........due to the sheer # of Glocks, and their design, the Glock will win if one is playing Vegas. I would like to see a Sig 1911 platform have a go at this 'contest'.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted Glock. I think this is kind of like an AR-15 vs AK discussion. We all know which gun is sexier and more desirable, and we know which one will take the most abuse. We also know that there are people that think the ugly gun looks better, and we were all happy to have those guys as wingmen at parties

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the 1911 has gotten a bad rep for being "choke" prone due to the volume of cheap clones. If every 1911 was made by colt, this thread wouldnt be nearly as one sided.

I got some anecdotal personal experience.
Had a Taurus PT1911 that just shot anything and everything very accuratly - I used it for Bullseye.
Then I decided that I want to try single stack in USPSA; but damn foil hat got to me "Taurus will never live" they said, "get the Colt" they said.
So what do I do - sell the Taurus, and buy Colt 1911 XSE.
There was just NO WAY the Colt would go through a supplied mag without an issue.
Chip McCormick mags, Ed Brown extensions, Wolf recoil spring, Wilson mag well - and now it works pretty good. I still don't trust it on closed slide reloads though.

With Glocks:
I had Korean magazine bottoms explode hitting the floor (I replaced them with genuine Glock bottoms and still run Korean bodies in competition).
I had aftermarket sights fly off (that's my only real beef with Glocks - why didn't they dovetail the front sight???)
OEM G34 extended mag release is a disaster - it drops magazines in holster or picking it up off a table.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While reliability off 30K rounds is very important, to me, how your firearm fits how you to shoot is important as well. Features like safety, slide and mag release being where you can find them in the dark without thinking, angle of grip vs where you are naturally pointing, etc.

To me, this is a similar question to the Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet wars in years past. I shoot what "fits" me best. Just personal preferance, Colts fit me, I like 870 pump shotguns, I drive Chevrolets, prefer my TP rolled off the top. Thats what I do even though I put more miles on a 1976 Volvo with less maintenance than any other vechicle I have ever owned, even the battery lasted almost 6 years.

Interesting conversation piece. Not sure how the stastical accuracy will play out. Keep warm.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I voted Glock. I own and carry two pistols, one is a Glock 32, the other is a Colt M1991A1 no frills Commander size pistol.

I have had a few malfunctions from the 1911, I am 100% sure they were mag related, the main issue was with Chip Mcormick 8 round magazines, they would not chamber the last round. I put Tripp 7 round kits in them, and they have never done it again. With those mags, and with Wilson Combat mags, I can't remember a single malfunction. Of all the Glocks I have owned (a couple 19s, a 27, 17, 30, and now this 32 all gen 3) I have only ever had a malfunction with the 17. So, as a rule I generically trust a Glock more. That being said I trust MY 1911 as much as I do my Glock, and more than I would a brand new out of the box Glock. I really don't care which of my two pistols would fire 3k rounds without a malfunction, they have proven that they will fire a hundred or more, while being dirty from daily carry, without an issue. That's more ammo than I carry so I am satisfied.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell, you could allow TRIPLE the price and the G still wins.

Anyone that chooses otherwise is kidding themselves.

But nothing is sexier than a 1911!

....now where are the revolver guys...

I agree with the sexy 1911 thing. And there's no doubt Glocks are reliable but there's something in the back of my mind that want to give my ugly WWII bring back, that's probably worth $500, to the Myth Buster guys to test against the Glock. That old gun just want die. I'd also like to send the Glock challenge to Les Baer, Bill Wilson, Ed Brown and Nighthawk. Those guys build some good pistols. Patrick Sweeney has written many times about his and other 1911's getting a dose of 50k rounds through them each year for competitions. Little to no issues mechanically.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted Glock. I think this is kind of like an AR-15 vs AK discussion. We all know which gun is sexier and more desirable, and we know which one will take the most abuse. We also know that there are people that think the ugly gun looks better, and we were all happy to have those guys as wingmen at parties

Don't be jealous. The girls know the ugly gun lasts longer than two pumps!

Oh and Glock will win. It will choke because of a bad primer in the factory ammo. Just rack in the next round and it will keep running. <lights fuse and watches>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom