2016 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I drew a Salt Plains Wildlife Antlerless. I don't have a clue as what to expect. Any tips?

First of all, when you get your briefing before your hunt, an employee of the refuge will show you a map and suggest where to see the most deer. They are on the refuge every day. Heed their advice.
My first hunt there was a group hunt for 4. I sat where the refuge employee told me, and scored about 30 minutes after daylight.
The other three guys had to work their butts off, but eventually did score.

Will I be expected to hike a long way? Should I take a stand?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I drew a Salt Plains Wildlife Antlerless. I don't have a clue as what to expect. Any tips?

First of all, when you get your briefing before your hunt, an employee of the refuge will show you a map and suggest where to see the most deer. They are on the refuge every day. Heed their advice.
My first hunt there was a group hunt for 4. I sat where the refuge employee told me, and scored about 30 minutes after daylight.
The other three guys had to work their butts off, but eventually did score.

Will I be expected to hike a long way? Should I take a stand?
It depends on the area. I would take a stand. It can get pretty thick in areas.
I've taken one every time, but didn't use it every time. Always good to go prepared.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone mentioned where to stay at the Wichita Mountain hunt but can't remember the suggestion. Any suggestion for a simple hotel/motel not far from check in.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went and shot my 28 nosler today verifying dope for my upcoming antelope hunt. I have a goal for the distance..... I'll post what it is after my hunt in a couple of weeks. Landowner is seeing lots of speed goats. I'm excited and ready to go. My friend that's going to be my camera man is ready as well.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zero'd in my 30-06 again yesterday. Luckily it was only shooting a hair low. Made a few clicks of adjustment and was done before my shoulder hated me too much. Now to find time to go scout Okmulgee...

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got dope on my 28nosler too 800 the 7-08ackley is good to go as well....... Can't decide which one to use yet. I'll be leaving tomorrow evening and hunting cimmarron county Sunday and Monday. One of my good friends is tagging along to video the experience. Pumped and ready to go.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got home from a good trip. Got it done yesterday. 462 yards across a freshly planted wheat field. Had three misses one at 640 wind gust got me on my wind call. Another at 300 forgot to turn my turret back down..... Shot agin and missed agin. I wound up using my 7-08ackley I just have more confidence with that rifle. My goal was 500-700 yards got some good footage of the misses and the camera got hot and shutdown on the stalk for the kill. Killed her southwest of wheeless saw several good bucks. The first miss was a lone doe being pushed by a 75-80" antelope. Huge length maybe 14-15" and amazing prongs with super good mass. Missed the mark on my goal for the distance. Saw a couple of other good bucks but none of the caliber of the first. The panhandle looked incredible amazing what some moisture can do out there. The milo looked great. Saw a nice group of mule deer bucks to top it off. Saw probably 50 antelope total that where on property we had access to. There where only two checked in yesterday in Boise city. She weighed 70 pounds field dressed.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160919_66eb6a59fac101a93b77fc1c07de3582.png
it was hot so I didn't take many Picts. More concerned with meat care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom