2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't go battle the mud either. All my cams have been very active all day, complete opposite of yesterday.
Supposed to be a 75% chance tomorrow morning as well until noon. A 1/4 mile walk across a freshly planted muddy wheat field doesn’t seem as much fun as it used to either.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to catch hell for this but I believe if a guy works 60 to 80 hours a week 6 sometimes 7 days a week and doesn’t have money or time to put into scouting like others do because they are trying to pay bills and support their family and they get that opportunity to shoot a small buck on one of the only few days they have off work then good for them if that’s what they want or need. Not everyone has access to private land and even if they do they may only see a few deer all season. I’m all about holding out for a mature buck and usually do but I’m not going to give someone a hard time if they choose to shoot what they want and in reality that 6 pointer will be more tender than the 180 pounder I hate it because I have great friends that won’t agree with me but that’s the way I feel about it sorry guys
I am in this camp. Shoot what you want, I don't give a rat's rear what someone harvests. If you want a doe, spike, fawn, 180 score buck, whatever. Just enjoy your time in the field and "you do you" as my DIL says.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have this exact issue so I passed today and will tomorrow also.
I might go tomorrow afternoon, but will ride the 4 wheeler all the way to the blind if I do which is not typically the norm. I like to slip in quietly, but with all the tractor activity going on for the last three days, I might break that rule.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With mom passing on Friday I stayed with dad, my brothers and our families yesterday. We had scheduled our Thanksgiving earlier for mom but ultimately didn't work out.

I decided to get out of the house and chance seeing something this evening. I bumped four deer on the way to the shooting house.

I rattled this guy in about 4 or so.

IMG_0663.jpeg

I wasn't sure how much more hunting I'd feel like doing so after this 7 point walked in front of me twice I decided to pull the trigger. The last time was a little before 5. He's not the biggest by any means but I took the shot anyway.

IMG_0671.jpeg

This was the first trip to the woods where I didn't see at least one doe. Saw four or five bucks cruising for love.

With all of the junk that life has thrown at the family since mom entered hospice care back in August and with the funeral being Tuesday, I think I'll enjoy this hunt for a while and then might get back out after gun season settles down.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With mom passing on Friday I stayed with dad, my brothers and our families yesterday. We had scheduled our Thanksgiving earlier for mom but ultimately didn't work out.

I decided to get out of the house and chance seeing something this evening. I bumped four deer on the way to the shooting house.

I rattled this guy in about 4 or so.

View attachment 430444

I wasn't sure how much more hunting I'd feel like doing so after this 7 point walked in front of me twice I decided to pull the trigger. The last time was a little before 5. He's not the biggest by any means but I took the shot anyway.

View attachment 430443

This was the first trip to the woods where I didn't see at least one doe. Saw four or five bucks cruising for love.

With all of the junk that life has thrown at the family since mom entered hospice care back in August and with the funeral being Tuesday, I think I'll enjoy this hunt for a while and then might get back out after gun season settles down.
Sorry to hear of your mom’s passing. I’m sure she was a great mom.
Getting away like you did is good for the soul. Gives time to reflect and mourn privately.
I would have done the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom