.223 for deer and hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester Ranger 64 gr Power Point. My daughter had no problem bringing down these guys and several doe. My other daughter has taken 6 doe with the same round. Have not had the opportunity to hunt hogs, but would be confident in using the same ammo.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of the dozens of hogs I killed in 2014, none were with .223. Many were with .308, and 12 gauge. All the ammo I used has been around a few years. I primarily deer hunt with a bow. My arrows are tipped with 100 grain slick tricks on Carbon Express Mayhem arrows.

That is not to say the .223 won't kill a hog, as I know it will. I have killed several with .22LR and .17HMR as well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the Win 64gr .

Any of the 60-64 gr SP or HP do a good job.

Newest load I have used and it has become my primary round is Barnes VorTx. Awesome round

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...What's the story on the Razorback XT? Just marketing or are the special somehow?
Winchester won't say much about the bullet, except that it's not their typical jacketed lead bullet...some kind of solid "alloy". I'd like to see more reports on this load, but I think people (rightly so) are hesitant to try new loads. I'd also like to see more on THIS Hornady load.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though I've killed multiple deer and hogs with a 223, it's certainly not my first choice of calibers, but it's definitely better than a sharp stick.:wink2:

For deer, I've had really good success with Winchester 64 gr Power Points, and for hogs, I'm not as choicy and use whatever is in my AR at the time.:gun1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom