.223 for deer and hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a buddy of mine kill a hog two weeks ago - big boar, about 100 yds out, one shot to the neck with el cheapo FMJ. Shot placement is everything. That being said, a .308 or 8mm is a much better choice. Often hogs don't offer that "perfect shot".

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would call those "varmint" bullets. For deer (especially) and hogs (if you want them to die in the same county where you shoot them), I would choose a soft point bullet of some type. The Winchester 64 gr PP has dropped every deer I've shot in his tracks, and hogs haven't gone far. I have also used a Barnal 55 gr soft point on hogs with really good success. My experience with full metal jacket ammo on hogs isn't as good. The hogs always die, but you better have a dog if you want to find them. They are going to run.

I wouldn't use any of the bullets in the AR15 article on deer for sure.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use .223 for coyotes, etc. and it is really effective. I've been a .22-250 guy for over 40 years, but don't feel like I give up much with the .223. I've never shot a deer with a .223, but several of my friends use .223 semi-autos almost exclusive to deer hunt in McCurtain & Leflore counties. I don't hunt hogs.

Cedar Creek

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I don't believe those hollow point bullets will hold together well enough for good penetration (if you shoot a deer in the heart/lung area). If you are head or neck shooting, it won't matter. In my experience, lack of penetration (i.e. no pass through) means no or not much blood trail.

This is my opinion based on first hand experiences, and if you don't like it, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom