.223 for deer and hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry brother, but, who gives a rip? Got a .22 Short? Shoot 'em. What ever bullet you have, shoot 'em. Deer have issues with the law, follow those laws. Not sure where this thread was headed but that's the nut. :twocents:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed lots of stuff deer pigs coyotes etc. with the 55gn barnes tsx in .224" mostly with a .220 swift or .222 rem mag. Never shot anything but prarie dogs or crows with my .223 I have a load with a 60gn nosler partition worked up that should work well I just have way more confidence in other rifles. I load that same nosler bullet in a 22-250 for a couple of youths to use. Worked well on deer. I almost exclusively use barnes bullets myself on anything bigger than a Prarie dog and use lots of their varmint grenades on them. Pigs are not mythical creatures that require a magnum to kill either. I just love the on game performance of a barnes x bullet.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J.T. got it.
and shot placement is key.

First deer I ever killed was with a 1.6 gr. piece of lead.. That is 1 pellet #6 size from a 20 gauge at 40 yards.
The pellet penetrated the wind pipe. Did not know what killed it until we cleaned the deer. only 2 pellets found one in the shoulder right under the skin one in the wind pipe.
Deer fell where it was shot.. It could not breath.
I was young and dad had me hunting squirrel and deer with my 20 gauge. Sad but true.

Animals aren't bullet proof.
Shoot what is most accurate (and legal) and have fun.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Remington 55gr psp for everything it has always made an exit wound on deer, I shot a 180lb buck in the panhandle 10 years ago using 55gr psp and the exit wound was about the size of a golf ball the range was about 140 yards and it mutilated that dudes heart and lungs. I have only ever shot 1 pig and it was with the same ammo and it was at about 85 yards and I shot that sucker in the side of the head and it DRT and the bullet pushed its way out.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real world data: .223 Rem 700

Deer
Win 64gr PP, 235 yrds, neck shot, full penetration, dropped in tracks.
Nosler 60gr Partition, 185yrds, just behind left shoulder, full penetration, stumbled 10yrds.
Rem 62gr PSP, 120yrds, bottom of neck facing, exit solar plexus, dropped in tracks
Rem 62gr PSP, 122yrds, center of ribs, full penetration, 15yrds dropped
Win 64gr PP, 200yrds, neck shot, dropped in tracks.
Sierra 63gr SP, 60yrds, rt shoulder, 99% penetration, 20yrds dropped
Barnes VortX 55gr HP, 50yrds, rt shoulder, full penetration, 5yrds
Barnes VortX, 80yrds, left ribs low, full penetration, 40 yrds
Barnes VortX, 110yrds, neck, dropped
Barnes VortX, 250yrds, rt ribs low, full penetration, 20yrds
Barnes VortX, 210yrds, left shoulder, broke rt shoulder, dropped, tried to get up, 2nd shot behind left ear.

Hogs
Golden Bear 62gr PSP, 80yrds, left ear, dropped in tracks, 120#
Barnes VortX 55gr HP, 30yrds, left shoulder, exit rt ham, total destruction, 40#
Barnes, 50yrds, back lft rib, exit rt shoulder, dropped, 50#
Barnes, 70yrds, behind lft ear, dropped, 50#
Barnes, 110yrds, rt ear, dropped, 140#

Wolf 55gr FMJ, 75yrds, left rib, full penetration, 2nd, 75 yrds, left rib full penetration, 3rd, 85 yrds, rt rib, full penetration, 4th, 22LR, 2 inches
, rt ear, 160#

Latest posts

Top Bottom