.22lr upper HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want the best I'd listen to Dennis, he seems to have a lot of experience on the subject. I wouldn't go with the "easiest" or "most convenient" but the rock solid best you can get. Initially I was looking for the same thing you are and everyone had a different recommendation which didn't help. Finally I just decided I'd rather just be able to reach into the safe and grab my .22 AR than have to swap parts or uppers or whatever. It didn't take long to find the best dedicated .22 AR, IMO, and so I got a S&W M&P 15-22 which has been nothing short of awesome.

Good luck on whatever you get, .22LR AR's are way fun :)

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want the best I'd listen to Dennis, he seems to have a lot of experience on the subject. I wouldn't go with the "easiest" or "most convenient" but the rock solid best you can get. Initially I was looking for the same thing you are and everyone had a different recommendation which didn't help. Finally I just decided I'd rather just be able to reach into the safe and grab my .22 AR than have to swap parts or uppers or whatever. It didn't take long to find the best dedicated .22 AR, IMO, and so I got a S&W M&P 15-22 which has been nothing short of awesome. Good luck on whatever you get, .22LR AR's are way fun :)

so you recommend an entire M&P15-22

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P 15-22 shoots awsome, would highly recomend one. On that note changing out the bolt is not an issue, just throw the conversion bolt in the range bag and swap it, when done swap back and run a few rounds of .223 through it to clean the gas port. The idea of 22lr for me was for cheaper training, I want the same weapon feel. buying a dedicated 22 meant configuring a $400 gun into a $550 gun that will only ever fire 22. That said I may at some point pick up a M&P 15-22 because they are nice guns, but the conversion feels the same.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M&P 15-22 shoots awsome, would highly recomend one. On that note changing out the bolt is not an issue, just throw the conversion bolt in the range bag and swap it, when done swap back and run a few rounds of .223 through it to clean the gas port. The idea of 22lr for me was for cheaper training, I want the same weapon feel. buying a dedicated 22 meant configuring a $400 gun into a $550 gun that will only ever fire 22. That said I may at some point pick up a M&P 15-22 because they are nice guns, but the conversion feels the same.

so bolt swap is the way to go?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so you recommend an entire M&P15-22

If you want a dedicated .22 AR then, yes, I highly recommend the M&P15-22. If not, I'd consider the Nordic that Dennis recommended or the CMMG. I like having a dedicated rifle, plus it's lighter and a breeze to carry around while being a tough gun. Mines equipped with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC 150 scope that really takes advantage of how well these rifles shoot. Lightweight, extremely accurate...add some good optics and you can hunt squirrels or shoot competition, I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

Here's mine but obviously a different color would probably be better for the guys. My S&W M&P15-22 Talo special edition "Pink Platinum".

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a dedicated .22 AR then, yes, I highly recommend the M&P15-22. If not, I'd consider the Nordic that Dennis recommended or the CMMG. I like having a dedicated rifle, plus it's lighter and a breeze to carry around while being a tough gun. Mines equipped with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC 150 scope that really takes advantage of how well these rifles shoot. Lightweight, extremely accurate...add some good optics and you can hunt squirrels or shoot competition, I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

Here's mine but obviously a different color would probably be better for the guys. My S&W M&P15-22 Talo special edition "Pink Platinum".

so just go buy a M&P15-22?

Latest posts

Top Bottom