4 wheeler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what kind of 4 wheeler I want to get. I for the most part only been on utility 4 wheelers, so I am not familiar how the sport type handle. My primary use would be getting around hunting leases, but I would also like to ride some atv trails at places like Draper. I see the sport type atvs are a lot cheaper.

So I guess my question is, how to the sport 4 wheelers handle in muddy conditions? I am not talking about mud bogging, just normal muddy and wet conditions? Do you think they would fit my need for hunt as well?

The main reason I am considering the sport style is the price.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha and have been real happy. If you are towing a trailer or hauling heavy loads, get a straight rear axle. If you are bouldering/climbing and crawling, get an independent rear suspension. 4 wheel drive for mud.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had great luck with Honda. Have 2 newer ones (04,08) but still use my 99' foreman 4x4 for my Rocky Mountain elk hunts. Has over 12,000 hours and has been though 3 sets of tires and is still going strong!

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looking at buying a sidebyside 4 wheeler. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Polaris RZR XP 1000. I drove a friend's polaris RZR S 800 last weekend at lake Eufaula through some trails in the woods. I got hooked instantly. We have some Seadoo waverunners to play on at our lake cabin, but that polaris RZR sidebyside 4 wheeler was a 1000x funner.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess my question is, how to the sport 4 wheelers handle in muddy conditions? I am not talking about mud bogging, just normal muddy and wet conditions? Do you think they would fit my need for hunt as well?

If you get a set of tires to swap out for your trail/mud runs, you should be good to go with a sport type. They usually have a better suspension as far as travel and better handling in my opinion. You'll have enough clearance for trail riding, with the right tires, you should be able to get through any muddy, wet conditions you're talking about. For hunting, I'd think you can mount racks on just about anything.
I had an '85 Suzuki Quadsport (230) many, many years ago and now a Yamaha Warrior (350) that sits in a garage somewhere..... Both could turn your hair white if you weren't careful but a helluva lot of fun.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a set of tires to swap out for your trail/mud runs, you should be good to go with a sport type. They usually have a better suspension as far as travel and better handling in my opinion. You'll have enough clearance for trail riding, with the right tires, you should be able to get through any muddy, wet conditions you're talking about. For hunting, I'd think you can mount racks on just about anything.
I had an '85 Suzuki Quadsport (230) many, many years ago and now a Yamaha Warrior (350) that sits in a garage somewhere..... Both could turn your hair white if you weren't careful but a helluva lot of fun.

That is the input I am looking for, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom