.40 S&W Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Take.....

One of the single biggest advantages of the 40 (and .357sig) is that when everyone else has bought up all the 9mm, you can usually (I said usually) find .40.

Dave

The other side of that coin though is that a place that only stocks popular calibers will have 9mm, they may or may not have .40 S&W, and they probably won't have .357 sig.

Yeah, you're both right. I'm a .40 proponent. I like it. But, I started shooting/buying 9mm when it got relatively "cheap," and everybody always had it in stock. Most everything I shoot is handloads in handguns or long guns. But, there was a time when 9mm ammo was so cheap and plentiful, I started buying it up. I still own a couple of .40's, but they seldom get carried nowadays.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.40 came into disfavor because the new rules about diversification came into effect and the limp wristed couldn't handle the recoil. It was the Round the FBI favored but some of the "cadre" couldn't handle it, and they had to be politically correct and financially correct to the legislators that give them money, no matter if it cost lives.

The same " super magic modern development among the 9 mm rounds has been encompassed across the manufactures offerings.
The "science" about the 9mm is nothing magical. The same bullet technology is used in the .45 ACP and every other bullet in the product line. Is the Hornady SST 9mm bullet more lethal than the . 45 SST bullet at equal velocities?
I challenge anyone to show me how the 9mm is more effective at equal velocities because of the "modern development"Vs a 9mm from the 90's
In a hi cap pistol that LEO and common folk use.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good input from all, I appreciate the knowledge based upon this question. I do have .40's and I do enjoy shooting them all. The wife has her .40's also and we love them. However, this has shed new light on the subject and has me second guessing... Round capacity, velocity, power punch, home defense, etc.
Thank you

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
.40 came into disfavor because the new rules about diversification came into effect and the limp wristed couldn't handle the recoil. It was the Round the FBI favored but some of the "cadre" couldn't handle it, and they had to be politically correct and financially correct to the legislators that give them money, no matter if it cost lives.

The same " super magic modern development among the 9 mm rounds has been encompassed across the manufactures offerings.
The "science" about the 9mm is nothing magical. The same bullet technology is used in the .45 ACP and every other bullet in the product line. Is the Hornady SST 9mm bullet more lethal than the . 45 SST bullet at equal velocities?
I challenge anyone to show me how the 9mm is more effective at equal velocities because of the "modern development"Vs a 9mm from the 90's
In a hi cap pistol that LEO and common folk use.
I thought this is why the .40 was developed in favor of the 10mm.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To put it bluntly: A 9mm JHP can kill a person just fine, a .40 S&W will do it in 1 or 2 less rounds. I like my PX4 in .40, its recoil felt is not much different that my PX4 in 9mm. I switch between the two for my edc to minimize wear and tear. I do like that 9mm has 3 more rounds. In the end, carry what you want regardless of what anyone else says.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dahell too snappy means?

Does that mean the mamby pamby 9mm shooters can't handle a .40? I'd hate to see them pick up a 357 or worse the 44 Mag. Prolly put em in the hospital. Too snappy? Grow a pair!

Latest posts

Top Bottom