.40 S&W Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my memory serves, 45 and 40 weren’t included in the limits after Sandy Hook in 2012 either. 45 kind of surprises me, but even in an “ammopacalpse”, they can’t get rid of 40 ammo.
Yep - the 45 surprises me as well. Times like these seem to be one of the reasons to own multiple pistol calibers. I've got 9s, 40s, and 45s, and like shooting them all. I reload for all of them as well. I will say based purely on empirical evidence of the brass I find at the gun club plinking range, 9 seems to be shot the most. Over the last year or two, I have found more 45 than 40 left on the ground.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep - the 45 surprises me as well. Times like these seem to be one of the reasons to own multiple pistol calibers. I've got 9s, 40s, and 45s, and like shooting them all. I reload for all of them as well. I will say based purely on empirical evidence of the brass I find at the gun club plinking range, 9 seems to be shot the most. Over the last year or two, I have found more 45 than 40 left on the ground.
I have seen similar in that 9mm is probably 10 to 1 vs others as far as cases found. Then 40 and 45 when I find it will be in batches of 50 or 100 that someone went out and shot that day. I would say my pickups have been pretty close on those two calibers in last year.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought over-penetration was the biggest nail in the coffin for the 10mm.

As to range brass, what I find is 9mm is probably ten times that of any other caliber, followed by .45, and then .40. I reload them all, so I pick them all up. If you include rimfire, .22LR is second behind 9mm.

ETA: Speaking of 10mm, I probably pick up about as many 10's as I do .40's.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought over-penetration was the biggest nail in the coffin for the 10mm.

As to range brass, what I find is 9mm is probably ten times that of any other caliber, followed by .45, and then .40. I reload them all, so I pick them all up. If you include rimfire, .22LR is second behind 9mm.

ETA: Speaking of 10mm, I probably pick up about as many 10's as I do .40's.

I'm in the process of building up my brass stash. I've been on 3 range trips this past week doing brass collection. I'm finding nearly 20-1 9mm vs anything else. Behind the 9's, I've been finding 40's, and 5.7's, then 10mm and 45's. Luckily, yesterday was the first day I was able to get a decent haul of 223/556's. I've been staring at a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of range brass, and dreading the sorting because I do not have any sort of sorting equipment yet. For me, it's a several plastic parts bins in front of a tv, and hours tedious sorting for now.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now if only they could come up with a way to sort .380 from 9 [emoji3]

They make a aluminum plate that set in one of the baskets that lets 380 fall threw
th

Latest posts

Top Bottom