? about dead lifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You probably know this already, but I'll post the caution anyway.
As we get older, the muscles will strengthen faster in training than the connective tissue can adapt, so many people injure themselves just when they are really going great guns at increasing the weight. Our natural competitive nature can get us in trouble. Voice of experience.

^^This very true.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the advise here. I have gone slow. In fact. I have done nothing but Russian KettleBell Two Hand Swings. Working with 53 and 70 pounds. 200 reps. over 30 min. Pulled 275 one time today. I think I could have got 300. But, don't want to hurt myself. I think there may be hope for this Older Guy. Regards.

mattrob80

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
250 is a good weight for deads and someone mentioned the Wendler 5/3/1 program and I highly recommend that. The key with dead lifts is making sure you do it correctly. My personal goal for now is a 2x bodyweight single.

I really like this guy's breakdown of the lift, he shows several different grips and explains everything very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZJApXSdxnk

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the advise here. I have gone slow. In fact. I have done nothing but Russian KettleBell Two Hand Swings. Working with 53 and 70 pounds. 200 reps. over 30 min. Pulled 275 one time today. I think I could have got 300. But, don't want to hurt myself. I think there may be hope for this Older Guy. Regards.

I could be stating the obvious... but make sure you're warming up to that, don't just slop 275 on and do a single pull.

following the rippetoe guidelines, for 1x5 @ 250lbs:
Code:
Deadlift	Weight		Sets	Reps
Warmup Sets
		100		2	5
		150		1	3
		210		1	2
Work Sets	
		250		1	5

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped power lifting 5 years ago after a car accident. Up until then I had been working out with a 63 year old power lifter who was world class at 307 lbs. He pulled 595 regularly in competition, a 620lb. squat and a 460 bench. I was able to go 450 t0 480 in practice when dead lifting which was where my grip gave out...I was 60 then. I didn't think much of it since we were working out around younger guys who regularly pulled 600 to 750 in practice...totally insane. However, I encourage you to keep working at it...back muscles build up quick.

Barry :)

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped power lifting 5 years ago after a car accident. Up until then I had been working out with a 63 year old power lifter who was world class at 307 lbs. He pulled 595 regularly in competition, a 620lb. squat and a 460 bench. I was able to go 450 t0 480 in practice when dead lifting which was where my grip gave out...I was 60 then. I didn't think much of it since we were working out around younger guys who regularly pulled 600 to 750 in practice...totally insane. However, I encourage you to keep working at it...back muscles build up quick.

Barry :)

Impressive. Who was the lifter you were training with if you dont mind me asking?

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charles Clonce...he has a bunch of world records for his weight class. He is retired as far as I know due to some heart irregularities ...a shame ...he was a bull.
Barry
PS: BTW we worked out in Moore at "Howie's" gym.
BJG

Latest posts

Top Bottom