Accidental discharge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I did a similar thing with my tool box gun at work, only the round hit the floor, not flesh. Still scared the **** out of all of us. Good wake up call for more safety.

I got a lot of crap for it for a few months, until FINALLY somebody did something stupid on a motorcycle and we had something else to talk about.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If nothing else I learned a .40 cal will do some damage to a hand. Congrats on being a man and sharing your story. We can all learn something from this. Hope you get better soon.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 20 years ago my Boss was pushing his .357 into a holster that didn't quite fit it, It went off and pretty well wrecked his left hand that he was holding the holster with, still doesn't have much use of the hand.

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never had anything like this happen to me or anyone i personally know, but I'm glad you shared this. It's embarrassing and i'm sure that definitely kills the confidence, but it's a good reminder to everyone to remember you have to stay sharp when around firearms. Thanks for sharing and good luck healing.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear about that! Best of luck to you on the recovery and keep us updated on how you are doing!

My older cousin took a .40 round to the hand a few years ago while racking the slide incorrectly. He lost his index finger in the incident, but the doctors did a real good job of making it look normal. I believe the round hit him at the base of the index finger and they took the entire bone out where it looks like his hand has only had 3 fingers on it.

I try to make it a habit with any gun I handle to check the chamber atleast 3 times before dry firing. Then, I will stick my pinkie finger down in the chamber, if possible, to check. I've always been really nervous about decocking an external hammer gun on a loaded round and really prefer not to do it. Now that nervousness is alive and well.

Take care man! You are an eye opener to us all! Good luck on your recovery!