Accidental discharge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. Hope you recover fully! I keep a gun on the night stand too but I don't keep it loaded. I figure between the alarm getting set off and the dog attempting to eliminate any threat, i'll have time to rack the slide. I have been a little complacent lately so this is a good reminder to get my act together

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ok everyone, about 2 months ago I had this hppen to me, my story is kinda embarassing, I dont mind sharing with others, but please take it easy on me....

Dang dude! That was stupid!

so far...but get ready there are a few *sses on here so dont get to worked up when they state the obvious...

Ok... now that that post is covered...

....anyone else have any stories?

I had my own ND a few months back... almost a year now I think... but it was a pile of brand new clothes instead of my hand. Like others have said, I got lazy. I was wiping down a carry revolver before putting it in the holster, and thought "I'll just roll the hammer back to rotate the cylinder so I can wipe the hidden sides too" but let the hammer slip.... and *BOOM!*

'bout gave my wife a heart attack!!

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple moments when I realized I did something wrong, but never actually had a discharge. I've had an oops moment at the range, but I was pointing downrange when it happened. That was my moment of "oh damn, best be more careful".

Thanks for reminding us that this stuff does happen.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your accidental discharge...

had a few close calls... but never had one go off unintentionally.

before dry firing my 340PD, will unload cylinder by tilting upside down. my habit is to always treat weapon as if it was loaded by checking unloaded status when handling any weapon...especially before dry firing.

found a bullet in chamber!!! a tight shell prevented it from sliding down. SCARED the sh*t out of me!! now I'll use the injector rod every time and check again.

rule of never pointing a weapon at anything you don't want destroyed (like body parts) is always followed... even when dry firing. so if it does go off consequences are not as severe.

had an instance of ejector not clearing a round on my Ruger MKII (replaced ejector)
following the always treat your gun like it's loaded saved my butt again. double checking for unloaded status just before dry firing finds a live round in chamber.

was doing a FTF sale (not OSA) when the topic went to CCW. So he proudly shows off his pistol. then he hands pistol to me for inspection. my habit is to first check for unloaded status upon receipt of any weapon. so I racked the slide... a bullet ejects out of chamber. The idiot handed a total stranger a fully loaded weapon with round in chamber.

if you follow standard safety rules each and every time.... it will save your bacon!!!

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
heal well best wishes

didn't happen to me but it I witnessed it and it was one of our pistols and a friend of ours

it was a ruger standard and he was was reholstering. didn't take his finger off the trigger, holster pushed the trigger to the rear with his finger, ND , shot himself in the right foot top to bottom through and through.
to add insult to injury he missed the holster completely the pistol wasn't even in it (it was a closed bottom leather and there ws no hole) short story he wasn't paying attention at all and it cost him

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Hope you heal well and get full use back.
Thanks for sharing the account as it reminds all of us to always obey the four general safety rules! You failed to do so and it is a painful and expensive lesson. Just one second of negligence can get us hurt or someone killed. Be vigilant and stay safe.