Accidental discharge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to confess, I had a accidental discharge happen to me yesterday. I just bought a Taurus PT 1911 45 ACP on Saturday from a friend. So me and a buddy were going coyote hunting with a couple of my AR's last night so I reached under my seat a got my 1911. I always keep the clip full but not one in the chamber, so I pulled it back and chambered a round. I turned it to the side away from everything and was letting the hammer go back when it fired, I was so lucky the only damage it did was the bullet grazed my thumb. Dang it hurt, but it could have been alot worse. I could have blown my leg off.

Why would you lower the hammer on a 1911 with a round in the chamber? Chamber loaded it should be thumb safety on (cocked and locked). Chamber empty, hammer down, full magazine, work slide when drawing. Anything else is dangerous.

Glad you were not seriously injured.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have a little bit of good news today, I had a Dr. Appt today and looking at the x-rays it looks like the cadaver bone graph is finally starting to take, it can be seen slightly starting to grow to my bones in my hand. So I am pretty happy about that.

But early next year I will have to have another surgery to take out the plate and 12 screws and to free up the tendons.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
50yrs of handling guns,30yrs carrying every day never a ND or AD. Sorry to hear about your hand. Hope you get back your mobility and usefulness.

You can never be to careful when it comes to handling firearms.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope it heals and you can learn a good lesson.

Question: Why do you feel the need to sleep or keep a gun loaded ON a nightstand next to you. Wheather you have kids in the home or not it seems a bit irresponsible. Don't you have a drawer in the stand you can keep it so it's out of sight? I understand that it is quicker to the draw. but if you are worried about a break in while you are sleeping you had better make sure that everybody that breaks in is clumbsy and loud. Please don't tell me you are a very light sleeper either. Keep the gun is a safe next to the bed or a least hide it close by.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for all of us 1911 lovers. My father had recently stopped carrying his 70 series 1911, and went to the local indoor range to get some trigger time with his 80 series.
After several mags he took a breather, and came back. Loaded a fresh mag in the pistol and chambered a round. At this point a friend was talking to him from another booth so he set the safety, kept the weapon pointed down range, and leaned back to BS.
When he returned to looking down his lane he took target and dropped the safety, at which time the hammer fell! If this had still been his 70 series with no firing pin disconnect, there would have been a fresh hole in the ceiling(albeit way down range, but still).

Crazy things happen! They are all loaded, and you only point them at what you want dead! PERIOD!

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope it heals and you can learn a good lesson.

Question: Why do you feel the need to sleep or keep a gun loaded ON a nightstand next to you. Wheather you have kids in the home or not it seems a bit irresponsible. Don't you have a drawer in the stand you can keep it so it's out of sight? I understand that it is quicker to the draw. but if you are worried about a break in while you are sleeping you had better make sure that everybody that breaks in is clumbsy and loud. Please don't tell me you are a very light sleeper either. Keep the gun is a safe next to the bed or a least hide it close by.

I keep mine ON my nightstand loaded, chambered, hammer back, on safe. I have no kids, and REALLY bitchin alarm system:D

A lot of my in the drawer thing is, that the more I fumble, the more I give away my position.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OOH OOH! I almost forgot the really good/bad one! It gives me a chance to give Glock a shot to the kidney so I can't pass this up!

My brother with a dishwasher safe pistol(.40) and what the maker called a "prototype" holster. Turns out he had made LOTS of them in different pistol molds. The hammer strap had a hard piece of plastic about 2.5" long on the end of it, and the snap button punched through the plastic and the nylon strap.
We were a LOOOONG way from asphalt and just doing some blasting on a weekend. I had walked to the truck to get ammo when I heard his pistol discharge. It wasn't the normal clean pop of a .40, but more muffled and dull. To this day I can remember hearing that thing hit the ground before I could even turn around.
He had reloaded and was holstering his carry weapon. The solid platic strap fell through the trigger guard. In placing it in the holster he had pushed the trigger/"safety" down with the engaged plastic strap.
It punched a .40 S&W FMJ in just below his hip bone and it exited about 3/4" above his knee. It actually hit nothing but meat!!! I ran a 92' Nissan Hardbody truck(DAMN! those things are TOUGH!) at the 100mph range for miles until we hit the highway.
Being far out AZ. there was not even a pay phone around. We traveled that way all the way to the hospital in Prescott. He was fine, but the truck got an alignment and new drag plates underneath.