Am I the only one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a fantastic avatar. Haha. I just started watching Dexter not long ago. Watched the first two seasons on Netflix on the xbox. Now I've gotta start getting them mailed.. :grumble:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Too many people to reply to so I'll just give a general reply :)
No I don't want to be famous. It doesn't matter if I spent the next 10 years in acting school, some us of just don't have the talent. Who's to say these people should get paid so much for their particular talent when the best teachers in America take home 30k a year? I don't want to be like these people and be in the spotlight all of the time I'm just pointing out the fact that it's screwed up that it works out this way.

Teachers, and low wage jobs in general, are low wage because the public generally doesn't value those jobs as much. People complain about taxes (which pay the teachers, police, etc), but then pay exorbitant amounts of money to go to concerts, sports, or the movies.

Is it ridiculous? yes. Is it unfair? No. Do I want the .gov meddling with it? Absofreakinlutely not!

I understand that it is America but some of you are wrong. EVERYONE does not have the chance to make millions in life. If we did then wouldn't we all take advantage of that chance and be out there making millions? You all know that if someone came to you and offered you a job paying a million dollars a year you'd take it, but whether this is America or not that just doesn't happen does it? You can sit here all day long an say "It's not all about money" but you know it kinda is. People who make $200,000 a year are most likely more happy than people who make $30,000 a year. Why? Because they have the stuff they want. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking at it all the wrong way.

I'm happy at my income (closer to $30k than $200k), because money don't buy happiness. But it could lower my stress level when unexpected expenses come up.

And then I think... if I was making $10mil a year, I'd end up in jail for shooting some paparazzi person with a camera for trying to catch me and my wife in bed on film.

And as much as another $10-20k /yr would make life easier on my blood pressure, I'm sure those actors are thinking, "Man, another $10-20mil would be great, so I could pay off this house."

But on the whole, I agree with you. I don't get the entertainment craze. I've never been to a pro sporting event, period. Only non-free concert I've ever been to was Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I very infrequently go to the movies.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if you do what you love the money will eventually follow, I hated my job for 14 years until one morning I woke up and decided I was going to go back to school. Now I can make in one day what it used to take me a week in my old job and I'm a happy sumbich. I honestly dont think I'll work another day for the rest of my life it's like my hobby pays me.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a fantastic avatar. Haha. I just started watching Dexter not long ago. Watched the first two seasons on Netflix on the xbox. Now I've gotta start getting them mailed.. :grumble:

Tis my favorite show.

Teachers, and low wage jobs in general, are low wage because the public generally doesn't value those jobs as much. People complain about taxes (which pay the teachers, police, etc), but then pay exorbitant amounts of money to go to concerts, sports, or the movies.

Is it ridiculous? yes. Is it unfair? No. Do I want the .gov meddling with it? Absofreakinlutely not!

I'm happy at my income (closer to $30k than $200k), because money don't buy happiness. But it could lower my stress level when unexpected expenses come up.

And then I think... if I was making $10mil a year, I'd end up in jail for shooting some paparazzi person with a camera for trying to catch me and my wife in bed on film.

And as much as another $10-20k /yr would make life easier on my blood pressure, I'm sure those actors are thinking, "Man, another $10-20mil would be great, so I could pay off this house."

But on the whole, I agree with you. I don't get the entertainment craze. I've never been to a pro sporting event, period. Only non-free concert I've ever been to was Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I very infrequently go to the movies.

I have no problem with paying taxes. It's sad that our teachers, fire fighters, and LEO's get paid off because of funding.

I'm not complaining about what I make. I live paycheck to paycheck, but I get by just fine. I have what I want and don't need anything more. Of course I wouldn't complain about a little more money, but that isn't the point of this thread.

On a side note: I would love to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra sometime. That's something I'd pay for.

I think if you do what you love the money will eventually follow, I hated my job for 14 years until one morning I woke up and decided I was going to go back to school. Now I can make in one day what it used to take me a week in my old job and I'm a happy sumbich. I honestly dont think I'll work another day for the rest of my life it's like my hobby pays me.

Sounds like you have a nice deal going on there. I'm glad I made the choice to go to school now while I'm still young. Congrats on your success.

Money can't buy hapiness, but it can put you in a better bargaining position.

Good point.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teachers, and low wage jobs in general, are low wage because the public generally doesn't value those jobs as much.

+1 - truer words have never been spoken. A teach has a very important job, but celebrities generally are paid that much due to the amount of money they bring in for their businesses. TV celebs make money through the advertising sold during their programs. Pro Athletes bring in revenue for the team and league through advertising, licensing agreements, etc. College Athletes get their scholarships based on the revenue the school brings in via advertising, licensing agreements, etc.. (in fact they bring in far more money for non-athletic programs than they spend in general, non-athletic funds - the big sports are way beyond self-supporting).

I don't fault anyone who tries to chase some cheddar by these means.

IN other words, don't hate the player, hate the game :D

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 - truer words have never been spoken. A teach has a very important job, but celebrities generally are paid that much due to the amount of money they bring in for their businesses. TV celebs make money through the advertising sold during their programs. Pro Athletes bring in revenue for the team and league through advertising, licensing agreements, etc. College Athletes get their scholarships based on the revenue the school brings in via advertising, licensing agreements, etc.. (in fact they bring in far more money for non-athletic programs than they spend in general, non-athletic funds - the big sports are way beyond self-supporting).

I don't fault anyone who tries to chase some cheddar by these means.

IN other words, don't hate the player, hate the game :D

Oh I do :) I don't care about the people who make the money. I care that people actually pay them such large amounts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom