Am I the only one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The smaller amount of something there is, the more it's worth.

There aren't many celebrities compared to the rest of us unknowns. If every American paid even a DIME to see me I'd be set for a while.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Choices man, choices. Had chances to earn a lot more than I do, but I chose my path. Also, the "rich" sports and entertainment celebrities make up a small but very visible percentage of the wealthy. Can't verify it but read once that all entertainers make up less than 1% of millionaires in the US.

brazilianboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long there is people financing those artists/athletes
they will be making money.
No matter if is F1,Soccer or Baseball
if they are good at what they do and there is a market for it...
why not ?
Some people have higher aspiration than others : Warren Buffet,Bill Gates
Donald Trump.
Some people are just born to work for other people...

as I like to say *there is a supermarket cashier and there is the supermarket owner*

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long there is people financing those artists/athletes
they will be making money.
No matter if is F1,Soccer or Baseball
if they are good at what they do and there is a market for it...
why not ?
Some people have higher aspiration than others : Warren Buffet,Bill Gates
Donald Trump.
Some people are just born to work for other people...

as I like to say *there is a supermarket cashier and there is the supermarket owner*

I agree 100%.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope that's a comment to people in general and not directed towards me specifically.

I'm not complaining on my own behalf, I'm pretty happy with my life and the money I make. It isn't much but it's enough for me to have what I want when I want it most of them time. I guess I just pity some of these people I see struggling. Maybe I just don't see that they are struggling because they are lazy and not because they are just having a hard time.

Oh, just for the record, this wasn't at all directed towards you. I can't make any judgments of others really, but I know that anything I've succeeded in or failed at was all my own doing, regardless of the "advantages" or "disadvantages" I received. Some people have it hard, but if they're reasonably healthy and not disabled, then they should be able to save/invest/spend frugally, and work towards accumulating some wealth to ensure their children have it better than they did.

It's a case to case thing, the statement wasn't aimed at you, sorry about the misunderstanding. As long as you're happy with yourself and your choices, and are convinced you did everything in your power, then no other opinions matter, for they don't know what you went through, or what you're going through.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
The value of anything is just what you can get for it in a free market.

In a more perfect world the folks that actually keep our world working would be have a much better value attached to them. I can live with out football, basketball, baseball or whatever kind of BS game. In our current infrastructure and way of life how long could you live with out a working sewer system or potable water? How about trash pickup. Imagine Woodland hills mall with no trash pickup for 3-4 weeks.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks it's BS that all of these celebs makes millions while all of us hard working Americans struggle to get by to provide them with the many things that they take for granted? Don't know what got me thinking about this, but every time I think about it I get all worked up. Singers, Athletes, Actors, etc, etc. Why do they get paid so much to do something they enjoy when most of us have to do jobs we dislike just to get by? Then we get laid off and have to get food stamps and unemployment benefits just to keep our homes and provide for our families. Meanwhile these cats are out blowing over $100,000 on a car that they will probably sell in 2 months anyway because it isn't "in style" or isn't "cool" anymore.
If I thought it was BS, I think I would be an anti-capitalist. If it weren't for capitalism, our poor people wouldn't be rich compared to most poor people in the world. Everything is relative. You can compare your situation to someone in a much better situation and feel bad about your situation because you may have worked harder and have less to show for it. The other option would be to compare your situation to someone in a worse situation, Haiti, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Iraq, etc. and realize that as bad as things are for you right now, there are millions of people who would jump at the opportunity to switch places with you.

I don't care much for most professional athletes and pretty much anyone from Hollywood either. If I had the skill or ability, I would probably be using it to earn a living just as they are though. I'm of the belief that most of us get paid what we're worth. I don't have those kinds of talent or ability so I don't make that kind of scratch. I try not to spend too much time thinking about what other people have that I don't. I just try to do the best with what I have and make the most of it. I also know that in the end, I am far happier than most of these famous rich people will ever be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom