Am I the only one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes we have the right to choose, but you're wrong about the other part. Most of us CAN'T quit our jobs and find something that pays better. That's why we have the jobs we have in the first place. If we could all have better paying jobs then nobody would be making min. wage and nobody would work at McDonalds. Teachers is a perfect example of that. If a teacher was to quit where the heck are they possibly going to go and make more money besides teaching without spending tons more money going to college all over again?

I know our system COULD be worse, but it also could be better.

But there lies the problem. The market is supply and demand based. An Actor/Athlete's wage is determined by the demand. We, the consumer, set the demand. While there are actors/athletes similar to the ones in demand, there isnt an exact duplicate (Darrel Hammond does a wicked Sean Connery impersonation, but I dont think Darrel Hammond can pull off roles like the Longest Day, James Bond, et al), so the supply of the actor/athlete is short.

The only way you can achieve a shift would be to decrease demand or increase supply of actors/athletes and increase demand/decrease supply of John Q Publics.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes we have the right to choose, but you're wrong about the other part. Most of us CAN'T quit our jobs and find something that pays better. That's why we have the jobs we have in the first place. If we could all have better paying jobs then nobody would be making min. wage and nobody would work at McDonalds. Teachers is a perfect example of that. If a teacher was to quit where the heck are they possibly going to go and make more money besides teaching without spending tons more money going to college all over again?

I know our system COULD be worse, but it also could be better.

Everyone can quit if they if they want to and move to something else. There are choices in life. If you want to move forward you have to get out of your comfort zone and go for it. There is no great reward without great risk.

As to everyone not having the same opportunity, you're dead wrong. It's just that 99% are to scaird or lazy to go for it.

If you dig into the stories of many of those who are very wealthy, they went through some very rough and scary times getting there.

It's all a personal choice of how much you're willing to endure to get your reward.

You asked what can a teacher do....
1) Start a school specializing in a particular popular topic.
2) Start a tutoring business and grow it to a national scale.
3) Work a part-time job learning a new trade. i.e. learn sales, ins, ect ect

The possibilities are endless, you just have to go get them.

Then someone will say but "yeah how can anyone afford to start that???" Its all about hard work. A teacher has the opportunity to work extra jobs. A few years of that and there's your cash to get started.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then someone will say but "yeah how can anyone afford to start that???" Its all about hard work. A teacher has the opportunity to work extra jobs. A few years of that and there's your cash to get started.

I guess I could see this happening. Most people simply can't work 2 or 3 jobs for years on end, they have other things in life to tend to. I know if you want to get somewhere in life you have to get off your @$$ and do something about it, but for a lot of people it's not as possible as people make it out to be. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything here. My real point in this entire topic is not so much that people should get paid more, but maybe that the stuff we buy shouldn't cost so much. People moan about the economy being in shambles yet I still see prices on everything going up and up. Wouldn't you think that if the economy is messy prices would go down a little to encourage people to buy stuff?

I guess I wish we just lived in a time without money and we got paid with the stuff we need or something lol. Then those lazy people that don't work wouldn't get crap.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Media Luminaries and Celebrities are simply pawns for the corporate giants that really know how to make the money. I swear that talent scouts add ignorance to the list of "talents" whilst looking for their next meal ticket. Most "celebs" are trash, plain and simple; most are drug addicts of some for as well.

Hey, sex sells though, and the people who give celebrities their 15 minutes know this. There's a reason why women who are willing to do nude scenes make way more than those who don't, and agents/talent scouts know this, so these are the type of people they're willing to prop up.

But yeah, most of these rich people are so spendy and superficial simply because, deep down, they're not happy at all. Who really wants to be followed around by flashing lights, and get reprimanded for every ignorant non-sequiter that would normally go ignored? I certainly wouldn't.

If you're so uppity about the moral bankruptcy of today's celebrity, don't patronize it. But people like to think that there's a better life waiting out there for them, even if it's one of blind hedonistic consumerism.

Turn off your TV, stop paying 9 bucks for a flashy big budget film with some no-talent hussy like Megan Fox or Jessica Alba in it, and go make something out of yourself instead of complaining about the state of things. Most of the people in this thread are correct, these types of people would be SOL without America's working core supporting them. Maybe it's time to actively reject their stilted, materialistic views of the world.

Man is TV full of crap nowadays.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a223_darkwaffle101_gallery_main_miley_cyrus_concert_un.jpg

Here is Miley Cyrus making more money in one night than I will in my entire life by making a casual pass near her nether regions. Real classy pose, am I right?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone can quit if they if they want to and move to something else. There are choices in life. If you want to move forward you have to get out of your comfort zone and go for it. There is no great reward without great risk.

As to everyone not having the same opportunity, you're dead wrong. It's just that 99% are to scaird or lazy to go for it.

If you dig into the stories of many of those who are very wealthy, they went through some very rough and scary times getting there.

It's all a personal choice of how much you're willing to endure to get your reward.

You asked what can a teacher do....
1) Start a school specializing in a particular popular topic.
2) Start a tutoring business and grow it to a national scale.
3) Work a part-time job learning a new trade. i.e. learn sales, ins, ect ect

The possibilities are endless, you just have to go get them.

+1, it isn't easy, it doesn't happen over night, and it takes alot of dedication, and a few opportunities along the way that take you out of your comfort zone.

I guess I could see this happening. Most people simply can't work 2 or 3 jobs for years on end, they have other things in life to tend to. I know if you want to get somewhere in life you have to get off your @$$ and do something about it, but for a lot of people it's not as possible as people make it out to be. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything here. My real point in this entire topic is not so much that people should get paid more, but maybe that the stuff we buy shouldn't cost so much. People moan about the economy being in shambles yet I still see prices on everything going up and up. Wouldn't you think that if the economy is messy prices would go down a little to encourage people to buy stuff?

I guess I wish we just lived in a time without money and we got paid with the stuff we need or something lol. Then those lazy people that don't work wouldn't get crap.

You sure do use the word "can't" alot.....

Can't never did anything....but you CAN do things....

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go make something out of yourself instead of complaining about the state of things

I hope that's a comment to people in general and not directed towards me specifically.

I'm not complaining on my own behalf, I'm pretty happy with my life and the money I make. It isn't much but it's enough for me to have what I want when I want it most of them time. I guess I just pity some of these people I see struggling. Maybe I just don't see that they are struggling because they are lazy and not because they are just having a hard time.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best friend worked two jobs for almost two years before he realized where the money was going and what he was missing out on in life.
The entire income from his second job was going to daycare.
He realized that if he wasn't working the second job and if his wife changed one day of her schedule, then they could look after the kid themselves and actually enjoy watching the rugrat grow up.
Now he's making just a little less $$, but he is working 30-40 hours less per week and his quality of life has improved significantly.

Having said all that, you are correct: life is not fair.
Some people will not work hard for what they get and others will have to scrounge to get by.
That's life.
As my platoon sergeant used to say: "Get smart or get strong."

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best friend worked two jobs for almost two years before he realized where the money was going and what he was missing out on in life.
The entire income from his second job was going to daycare.
He realized that if he wasn't working the second job and if his wife changed one day of her schedule, then they could look after the kid themselves and actually enjoy watching the rugrat grow up.
Now he's making just a little less $$, but he is working 30-40 hours less per week and his quality of life has improved significantly.

Having said all that, you are correct: life is not fair.
Some people will not work hard for what they get and others will have to scrounge to get by.
That's life.
As my platoon sergeant used to say: "Get smart or get strong."

That's why my wife doesn't work. After getting another car + insurance + daycare + gas, we'd probably be losing money. She hates sitting around the house all the time, but whatever works right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom