American Sniper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if i and my comrades were invading a nation, i would fully expect its people to try to defend themselves, and would hold no malice towards the people i killed for doing so. neither would i blame the mother of a child i executed for his death.

They would be cowards and traitors if they did not.

Some of our former military heroes had somepretty candid remarks - take Smedly Butler, and Curtis LeMay, for instance.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, now argue with the logic.

It ain't about logic...

It's about survival. Not physical, but mental. When you have done things like Kyle has, and like many others have done, you must believe that it was righteous and justified in order to maintain your self esteem and sanity. If you were to accept that you are not in fact a hero, but a hostile participant in an unjustified invasion who killed desperate patriots who were doing the exact same thing you would do under the same circumstances, it would probably destroy you.

Even if you haven't done the kind of things Kyle has, people don't like to consider views that, if accepted, would upend their entire worldview and require them to reassess all their highest held values (military service being among those values for many Americans). The natural response to those sort of views is strong anger. It is a psychological survival mechanism.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy smells Dutch.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL
It ain't about logic...

It's about survival. Not physical, but mental. When you have done things like Kyle has, and like many others have done, you must believe that it was righteous and justified in order to maintain your self esteem and sanity. If you were to accept that you are not in fact a hero, but a hostile participant in an unjustified invasion who killed desperate patriots who were doing the exact same thing you would do under the same circumstances, it would probably destroy you.

Even if you haven't done the kind of things Kyle has, people don't like to consider views that, if accepted, would upend their entire worldview and require them to reassess all their highest held values (military service being among those values for many Americans). The natural response to those sort of views is strong anger. It is a psychological survival mechanism.

This is a good answer, but also incomplete. The same conclusion can be said for the opposite viewpoint, such as yours.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And hence my comment about logic.
If you take the my side/their side argument out of the equation, and just look at it like Combatant A and Combatant B, you may draw a different conclusion than you would otherwise.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with that. In fact I would argue that a different conclusion is pretty much a certainty, depending on where you come from initially. Its an easy distinction to make when you dont choose a side, but is difficult to practice when you believe one side is right and the other is wrong.

I see both sides of the argument, and I think both have their merits. I also don't think that believing one way, or the other, necessarily proves correlation or support of that side. In other words, just because I believe we should be there, doesnt mean I am supporting our governments actions thus far. I cant be true to what I believe and not also support taking down the ***birds in the house of Saud, and those in Qatar, etc.
This crap has been going on for many centuries. We; meaning America, didn't start this fight, as some would like to believe. However, we did contribute to the problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom