An AR15 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan075

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same problem on a rifle I built, the cure was a heaver buffer as it was over gassed. I bought a KAK buffer that comes with 9 weights so you can fine tune the buffer. It took a 5.4 ounce buffer, oh it also reduced felt recoil.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been around AR's for 10+ years and never heard this. How can a something that holds the mag in and can only be adjusted by making in tighter or more loose have anything to do with the function of the rifle? Not being a smartass at all, but I've put many together and just don't see that as anything that would cause an issue unless it wa so loose the mag just fell out.

A magazine release that is too loose or too tight can change the position of the magazine in the rifle (or allow the magazine to change positions). The position of the magazine can cause feeding and function issues. It’s not super common but I’ve seen it multiple times...mostly in improperly assembled rifles. It’s easy to check and fix.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well let me ask this. I examined the bolt catch very closely and everything seems to be ok. With an empty mag in you can pull it back and it will function 100%..locks back. On an empty chamber if you push the paddle in with the bolt back it will lock. Am I overlooking something in the mag/bolt catch? Its really frustrating because it functions fine it just wont lock back.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Step 2. Check your gas rings. Take the BCG out and extend the bolt in the carrier. Stand the BCG up vertically with the bolt on the table. The bolt carrier SHOULD not slide down on the bolt with its own weight. If it does, replace the gas rings.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Step 2. Check your gas rings. Take the BCG out and extend the bolt in the carrier. Stand the BCG up vertically with the bolt on the table. The bolt carrier SHOULD not slide down on the bolt with its own weight. If it does, replace the gas rings.
I did that when looking the bolt over. That part checked OK along with tight/staked bolts in the carrier key.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out?
Sort of. I took it out this past weekend and shot it. I ran four different magazines in it all using American Eagle ,223. They all shot fine...no jamming AND they all locked back on last shot. Best I can guess is Gunbuffers advice of just shoot it and see if it works itself out worked. Who knew?

Latest posts

Top Bottom