Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's okay flatwins, check out the forum side of my website for more pictures and next time you head this way, and we can get together, I'll buy you breakfast and we can talk more about guns....

DAVID

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's okay flatwins, check out the forum side of my website for more pictures and next time you head this way, and we can get together, I'll buy you breakfast and we can talk more about guns....

DAVID

Wait... there's a link to more pics... and you didn't post the link?..... That's cold....

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ruger - SUPREME HUNTER revolver in 44 magnum.... OH LORDY I WANT!!!!!!!

You talkin about this little guy here?

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_032_2.jpg

You should have gotten in on our "NEW YEARS SPECIAL" at the first of the year. I dropped $1,200 off the regular price! If you want one, let's talk....

DAVID

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T, I can't contribute anything as far as long range shooting goes, but, I like to shoot at water filled plastic jugs and if you take some food coloring and add a drop or two in each jug it will make your shooting a little more colorful. Get a box at the grocery store with several colors. I like it and so do my sons. The darker colors are best.

I loved this thread. Great info.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea okietom...

That's what I do when I take my LEO's out to shoot and there is a good stiff wind blowing. We'll line up a dozen different colored interactive targets, side by side and the guys have to call their shot according to the color of the target...

They wanted to see the effect on "wind shooting" at 600 yds., since these guys are also deer and varmint hunters. We took twelve milk jugs full of water, and placed them on a 2X12 base, side by side each other. We had a cross wind that was blowing from the right to the left. I told one of the guys to shoot the jug on the far right and tell me what jug he was gonna hit. I let the guys confer with each other and they all agreed that the third jug from the end was gonna explode. We made a small wager and I told them the first shot was gonna be a miss. The shooter said "no way", fired his first shot and missed! He asked why and I told him I knew he forgot to take the elevation into account because of the high winds...

Next shooter was up and the same thing happened...

This time, I dialed-in the the elevation in for them. Shoot the jug on the far right, with a center hold and you will hit "a" target. Again, tell me which one is gonna explode. They all still agreed it was gonna be the third jug from the end. One shot was fired and "a" jug exploded. It was however, NOT the third jug from the end. It was not the fourth jug. It was not the fifth or sixth jug either! Not was it the seventh jug! It was jug number "8" that took the hit. If these guys had false teeth, they would have dropped them! That was how much wind we had blowing that day...

Instead of guessing how much to hold into the wind, I showed the guys how to dial-in their scopes, by aiming at the last target and then moving the cross hairs to correspond where jug number 8 WAS at. They make their corrections and busted the remaining 11 jugs out of 13 shots. The two missed shots were rushed and there is no excuse for that. That's when mistakes happen...

Next targets were immediately taken at 150 yds. and again, 5 shots and 5 misses! They forgot to dial their scopes back in and take everything else back into account. Different range, different wind directions, different targets, etc.. Deer and varmint hunting are one thing but, in these guys line of work, mistakes can cause lives. Granted, 99% of Police SNIPERS will never be called on to make shots like what we were practicing but, it was more to show the effects of shooting in the "wind" and REMEMBERING that their scopes have adjustments on them for a reason - learn how to use them and use them properly and effectively and your "misses" out in the field will go down dramatically...

If your hunting or shooting never goes much past 100 or 200 yds. and you shoot big targets, instead of having a very precise aiming point, things like I am talking about would not make much difference. It's the long-range shooters and precision shooters who need to take everything into account, and learn their rifles, loads, optics, etc....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom