Any reason for a pistol grip shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking even more specifically like the Mossberg shockwave and comparing why you might want to own that over a traditional security style shotgun with a stock?

Any reason to own both? If you only could pick one, which would it be and why?

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with a full stock shotgun. I own a shockwave, it's a cool novelty, but shooting the full size 590 is much more pleasant (as pleasant as a pump shotgun can be anyway) and for me, the full stock is way more accurate. Inrange TV did a test a while back about pistol grip vs stocked shotguns, I'll try to find the video if you're interested.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Great for recoil sensitive folks, your grip hand eats a ton of recoil that would otherwise make it to your shoulder.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the only reason for a short stock or a pistol grip is for having a better angle/control when breaching doors, or for major organized crime style points.
balspr18-sawed-lead.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that self defense shotguns and shockwaves/pistol grip shotguns are in two completely different categories. If for some reason the world was ending and I wanted to go out and play rambo, and wanted to be loud and open most doors I saw, I would carry a shockwave sized, pistol gripped pump shotgun with a breeching choke on a lanyard, so that I can breach, drop the weapon, and clear the room. If I wanted a self defense shotgun, I would have a full stocked 14-19" semi auto with an appropriate choke for my load.
M870-1.jpg

having the pistol grip/short package allows the breecher to stay out of the way of the entry team, or stay out of the way of the door in case someone decides to shoot through it. Its also handy if youre stuck with an inside corner next to the part of the frame where you wanna breach, when a full size/full stocked shotgun would just get in the way.
eb9b0dfb77b00d145bb76b49c114ca2d.jpg

this is nice, but it doesn't have a breaching device on it, which in my inexperienced opinion wouldn't be ideal.

Last edited:

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Mossberg 590S with a 14.375 inch barrel. It shoots the mini shells and regular length shells without using any adapters. I have only shot mini shells through it so far and recoil was unremarkable. I thought about it for a long time, going back and forth, because I had this vague idea about putting it in the vehicle sometimes. For what I am not sure, but I have one anyhow. I also have a Maverick 88 set up for mini shells. I am not a shotgun hunter so if I was going to keep only one it would probably be the 590S. If I didn't have either one it wouldn't bother me any. Sometimes I buy stuff just for something to do. None of that is probably any help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom