Any sales on High Point .45s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of bad rap on the High Points. I decided to buy a .40 cal one day just to shoot loads that were not to spec for my 1911 with match grade barrel. I have to tell you that the High Point was pretty impressive in accuracy and reliability. I think it would be a lot of fun for someone to to shoot IPSC or Steel Challenge with it, especially to win matches. Cheap yes, but the High Points have generally proven themselves to be good guns. In a self-defense case, I don't think the guy at the other end will give a ?#!* about how pretty the gun looks. :cannon:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've figured out what the problem is with Hi-Points. They're massive, ugly, cheap and work very well. Sorta like an Russian military hardware. So, what they need is a Russian name. Maybe "Stormovik" like the tank busting WWII plane or the "Karkhov", something like that.

I suspect if people thought they were Russian they'd be more acceptable. The perfect complement to the Moisin-Nagant rifle.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of the 9mm pistols. In a year I put over 1000 rds through it without ever having a FTF or FTE. And it was accurate enough that I wouldn't worry about defending myself. It was heavy,ugly, totally inappropriate for CC,but it did function as intended. I gave it to my son-in-law for his birthday. He still has it and shoots it at lest once a week.

I also have one of the 9mm carbines. It is one of the most fun guns I have ever shot. It to is accurate and has never failed to function in the 3yrs I have owned it.

Most folks who trash talk these guns have never held one or fired one. They trash them simply because they are ugly and cheap. In my opinion they are gun snobs. "If it dont cost $1000 and shine like a diamond it aint worth having."

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trash talk them, and I have held/fired them. I'll admit to being a gun snob to some extent, but that is not why I despise them. I loath them because: the ergonomics are nonexistant, they're cheap pot metal, there is no balance to the firearm, the bore axis is much higher than necessary, the recoil impulse is awkward, the mag capacity is very low compared to the size of the weapon, the trigger ia schite, the finish blows and it is difficult to make fast accurat hits because of a myriad of the things I listed above. I understand that the 1000 rounds was a baseline, but that still isn't a whole lot of ammo to put through it. You will never see professionals or serious shooters use them other than in jest.

Their 9mm carbines are meh. I have no use for a pistol caliber long gun that isn't a subgun. With their carbine you still have low mag capacity, finish and trigger issues. I haven't shot them that much though. If you like it and it serves you well power to you.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why trash talk them, not everyone is an astute, highly qualified enthusiast such as yourself. IMHO they fill a niche and do it quite well, not everyone can afford a Kimber, Colt or Smith. If they get more people interested in the shooting sports then more power to them.

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO they fill a niche and do it quite well, not everyone can afford a Kimber, Colt or Smith. If they get more people interested in the shooting sports then more power to them.

That's been my opinion. I can see the need for a reliable, accurate and cheap firearm for a family on a budget. For some people a $150 firearm is a bigger stretch than someone else getting a $3000 1911. I'm glad that Hi-Points exist for Americans without a lot of money to be able to defend themselves. $150 (give or take $50) for a firearm that will go bang when I need it to.

The Hi Points aren't a perfect handgun, but they are perfect for the niche they are intended for. I've shot quite a few and have never had an issue with any of them.

I don't own one. Mainly because I'm not the market for that type of firearm. I've never understood the hatred for Hi-Points.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of the 9mm pistols. In a year I put over 1000 rds through it without ever having a FTF or FTE. And it was accurate enough that I wouldn't worry about defending myself. It was heavy,ugly, totally inappropriate for CC,but it did function as intended. I gave it to my son-in-law for his birthday. He still has it and shoots it at lest once a week.

I also have one of the 9mm carbines. It is one of the most fun guns I have ever shot. It to is accurate and has never failed to function in the 3yrs I have owned it.

Most folks who trash talk these guns have never held one or fired one. They trash them simply because they are ugly and cheap. In my opinion they are gun snobs. "If it dont cost $1000 and shine like a diamond it aint worth having."

Yes, but now you have Hi-Point cooties. Not only that, you passed them along to your son-in-law! No matter how many 1911's and HK's you shoot, you may never get rid of the Hi-Point cooties! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom