Anyone have a FEL(federal explosives license), work with explosives or 1.3 fireworks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm going to start the process of getting a FEL. I want to start using 1.3 fireworks a couple times a year for a personal display as well as High Explosives for personal use. I wanted to get some information from those already involved in 1.3 fireworks or HE(High Explosives)

Backstory: My former boss used to have a FEL as an individual so that he could purchase, manufacture for personal use, and use 1.3 fireworks as well as make solid rocket fuel for his high power rocket hobby. He ended up getting out of the 1.3 fireworks hobby because of the hassle and since the ATF changed their mind about high power rocket motor classifications, he didn't need his FEL for that. He is no longer with us but I have decided to get into the hobby. I helped him shoot and manufacture fireworks so I have some experience but unfortunately it was over the 3 years ago mark so nothing will count towards a OK display operators license. I have been give permission to have/use his existing magazine that was previously approved as a Type 4 as well as the couple of Type 3 daybox mags he has. Since I also want to purchase and use HE for some things, I am going to construct a Type 1 on the same piece of land as the existing magazine.

I wondered if there were any Oklahoma people who might be able to help me navigate the state regulatory side of this process to where I can shoot a 1.3 show legally as well as getting more experience in both 1.3 fireworks and high explosives. From what I understand, after I attend shooters school in the next month, I will have to assist licensed people on 3 shoots of 1.3 displays before I can get my state display license. As far as HE goes, ironically it seems to be less regulated at the state level than 1.3 but I would like to shadow or help someone who commercially uses HE to become better educated and experienced before starting to use it myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom