Anyone into Wet Shaving?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a cheapazz too. I got sick of spending money on plastic razors to just throw away after about 3-4 uses.

I bought a $20 DE safety razor, and a 100 pack of Persona USA made blades. That was about 12 years ago and I still have a few of those blades left. I did try the brush and a tub of Proroso shave soap, but after that was gone I just went back to Barbasol. Meh...

I do have a goatee that I keep trimmed when I feel like it (kinda like I shave) so I ain't shaving everything. But not spending for the latest whizzbang 5 blade lubricated plastic wonders is nice.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a straight razor to try several years ago. I quickly realized it would require more time and commitment than I was willing to put forth. There would have been plenty of blood spilled on the learning curve.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Into it as far as would seem normal for a man in 1950. I keep a badger hair brush, stand, DE Safety razor, and a jar of shaving soap handy. All I'm missing is Aqua Velva, I think haha.

All that other stuff, nah. But I do very much enjoy a morning shave ritual before the family is up and when the house is quiet.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After making the jump to wet shaving 15 years ago I’m amused by the comments about saying they suffer through the process using cartridges.

Somewhere along the way the marketing hype took over and people bought into the idea that newer systems were better. They are not.

Aside from waste, the cost is so much higher. Sure a quality razor might cost more up front, but I’m still using the one I bought when I started and my blades cost $0.50 per, and that is for a higher quality one.

Brushes eventually wear out, but not for years. Quality shaving soaps/foams might cost more but do tend to last and also make the process more enjoyable. And the quality of the shave is better.

Less ingrown hairs, razor burn, etc.

It may not be important to everyone, but there are benefits that range from practical to enjoyable.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
far superior to the plastic cartridge junk

^^^^^^^^^

A few of the disposable are decent, but very few.

Wif bought a pack of Dollar Store disposable. Talk about crap. I throw blades away that sharper than that crap right out of the package. Felt like a weedeater ripping at my neck.

I had a beard from HS till I was 28yo. Company changed to a no beard policy, supposedly an OSHA respirator thing, Daughter had never seen me without. She was in 2nd grade, came in from school and started screaming for Mom. Would look at me sideways, for a couple days
Never lost the 'stache, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom