AR15 - how light can you go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been having an itch to build a bottom line light weight AR15. I've seen some very light builds on polymer frames, but I feel like the weight was taken off in "wrong" places.

Here is my idea:

Standard lower - shaved.
Non-assist flat upper.
JP light weight bolt and buffer.
16" standard car. barrel, turned to .450-.500, shortened to 14", 2" cage welded
Some sort of minimalistic gas block.
Red dot.

JP forces to use rifle tube - what would be very light rifle tube/stock?
Are there any non-exotic light handguards?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, You can get a carbine or mid-length pencil-profile barrel in 14.5" already...

JP makes the best lightweight handguards from what I've read. If you're going to go with an optic, check out Primary Arms Micro (or spring for the Aimpoint Micro).

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On impulse, I bought one with a Plum Crazy lower and I have to say that I'm very satisfied with it. It definately is less weight and works like a champ.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 2nd for the plum crazy. I've built one and it's so light you actually get quite a bit of felt recoil. Not arm shattering but more than usual. I've got an old sp1 carbine length slab sided upper and as a combination its very low weight. Haven't weighed it but next to the rock river m4 style it's a featherweight. I've got around 500 rounds thru the plum crazy and can honestly say it still looks brand new. No hammer wear or parts that are worn. Don't know how many rounds before appreciable wear will show but none so rar. Fired lots of 5.56 with the slide fire lately and still no wear. The pencil barrel does get hot tho. YMMV
Pktrkt

Latest posts

Top Bottom