AR15 - how light can you go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you need it under 5lbs.? Are you in some way deficient or handicapped?

J/K.........................................Sort of.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have considered the same question, and it comes down to the Plum Crazy or the Bushy Carbon series. I know many poo poo on Bushmaster, but the Super Light carbine is 5.1 pounds, unloaded. That's with a 16" barrel so some more weight could be shaved off other places as well. For the layperson (like myself) it's probably build well enough for its intended use.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think an AR in the bottom half of the 5lb range is pretty good.

The super light bush at 5.1 lbs with a 16" barrel is interesting. You could switch that out for a 14.5" barrel and almost be guaranteed sub-5 lbs.

Dont be fooled by "Carbon" Bushmaster. Its not actually carbon, its carbon filled plastic. Big difference in weight, I am sure they function well, I am not saying they aren't good but I am saying they are not carbon. If anyone ever successfully created a true carbon fiber lower it would be sick light.

The other thing the bushmaster has going for it is that both the upper and the lower are made of the carbon filled plastic. They have also done away with the dust cover and slam assist. Seriously nothing but what is absolutely necessary for the rifle to function is there.

EDIT: Doing some more research into the Bushmaster line their super light offering INCLUDES a RDS so that 5.1 lb weight I am guessing includes the sight. Take the sight off and it MAY be sub 5lbs. Its also shown with the standard carbine hand guards so you could probably get a lighter MOE hand guard.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taken from the project featherweight thread on page 11 linked above here is some inspiration.

4.5 lbs as pictured:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

These are not my pics but the guy still managed to get some dog toes in there!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the guys on the "lightest 16 thread" made this...

hamster carbon fiber upper
hamster carbon fiber lower
ABS carbon fiber barrel (over a rock creek blank, 17", rifle gas length, 1/7 twist, wylde chamber, titanium comp) (total weight 13 oz)
clark custom carbon fiber float tube, cut down (original shown in last pic was 6oz, but I've cut about 2/3rds of it off)
ace socom stock (by far the heaviest part of the gun, intentionally to help balance)
JP single-stage trigger (freakin awesome trigger)
JP low-mass bolt carrier (aluminum)
enidine pneumatic buffer
PRI adjustible gas block

total weight, including p-mag, aimpoint micro t-1, larue mount and everything is 4 lb 15 oz. but without all that, it's right at 4lb. this gun has survived a carbine class and a year and a half of tactical rifle matches. 1115 rnds total, mostly david tapp's steel city match in birmingham. I bought an airbrush duracoated it myself.

From the sounds of it, if you applied the same idea with a 14.5" barrel and a lighter stock, you could easily get around 4 pounds. That would be LIGHT! AND that's including a pmag in the weight.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup .. both IN THE HEAD!!! LOL

I'm thinking here - standard muzzle thread is 1/2" (x28) - and I've never heard of one splitting shot without attachment - that makes me believe that .480 dia is very easily done.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
0.480" is really pushing the limit. Even if it would withstand firing would you be worried about a focused load? Say knocking it against cover or something when running through a stage of a match. A focused point load is much more stressful than a uniform "hoop stress" load, even in a lower load level.

If the barrel gets a small dent and then you fire the next shot...what is a couple ounces worth to you?

I know I am being devil's advocate here but I would really hate to see something catastrophic happen in the pursuit of shaving mere ounces.

There is a reason companies test stuff to failure, for an individual it may not be feasible (in terms of cost) to buy two barrels, shave one down to 0.480" and bash it off something hard with a controlled force to see where it fails. If it doesn't bend or dent at any level force you could foresee putting it through then mount it, sell the spare, and preach the safety of 0.480" profile barrels. If it bends or dents, turn your 2nd barrel down to the known safe minimum and and scrap the toothpick profile barrel.

Not even getting into the effect on POI as the barrel heats up in something that thin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom