Are you a gun controller ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My answer would be Yes. Obviously how much gun control is a hot topic. But when presented with a question like this I always ask myself if I would be OK with my wife and kids being involved in the proposed situation. And I just don't want people covicted of violent crimes or known sociopaths to be able to openly carry guns around them. To me, you lost your right when you commited the crime.

As far as the notion of who gets to determine who is a sociopath. I don't really have an answer for that becuase usually we don't figure out if they are sociopaths until after they have done something crazy.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can give a real world local example in which I think my viewpoint is supported. I know an old man who live in Ponca City who lives by himself off of social security and is very senial. He cant really get around and can't really take care of himself so he has caregivers come over to his house daily to take care of him. He also had a house full of guns and would often snap and start yelling and screaming at the caregivers for no reason, kick them out of the house, and many times threaten to shoot and kill them. It all depends on the mood he is in that day and the caregivers have no idea what to expect when they go in there. He finally threatened to shoot people enough times that the police came in and confiscated all of his guns from the house. Now, he still threatens to kill people all the time, its just now he has no way to actually do it and is just a crazy old man. But at least he isn't a crazy old man with a gun.

Now lets say theoretically your wife was one of his caregivers. And he technically hasn't committed a crime and is just exercising his constitutional rights of freedom of speech and gun ownership. Are you OK with your wife being is a house alone with a crazy old man who has threatened to shoot her and you know he has a house full of guns? The constitution says he has a right to all of those guns. And up until now everyone has just written him off as a crazy old man who says things that he doesn't remember. But would you be willing to take the chance with her life betting that he will never followed through on his threats? I for one would not.

CompIllitR8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can give a real world local example in which I think my viewpoint is supported. I know an old man who live in Ponca City who lives by himself off of social security and is very senial. He cant really get around and can't really take care of himself so he has caregivers come over to his house daily to take care of him. He also had a house full of guns and would often snap and start yelling and screaming at the caregivers for no reason, kick them out of the house, and many times threaten to shoot and kill them. It all depends on the mood he is in that day and the caregivers have no idea what to expect when they go in there. He finally threatened to shoot people enough times that the police came in and confiscated all of his guns from the house. Now, he still threatens to kill people all the time, its just now he has no way to actually do it and is just a crazy old man. But at least he isn't a crazy old man with a gun.

Now lets say theoretically your wife was one of his caregivers. And he technically hasn't committed a crime and is just exercising his constitutional rights of freedom of speech and gun ownership. Are you OK with your wife being is a house alone with a crazy old man who has threatened to shoot her and you know he has a house full of guns? The constitution says he has a right to all of those guns. And up until now everyone has just written him off as a crazy old man who says things that he doesn't remember. But would you be willing to take the chance with her life betting that he will never followed through on his threats? I for one would not.

I'd tell my wife to quit.

Ridgerunner

Marksman
Reaction score
Really, my only point is that broad generalizations like "the second amendment states that everyone should be allowed to own guns" sounds good in theory but don't actually work in the real world. The world is too complex of a place.
So in your opinion, human nature has changed over the last couple hundred years ?

Yeah..I gotta agree with you. Society has lost it collective guts...while the vicious animals meariy go about their business of raping, robbing, and looting...
In the old days, the people you talk about were soon dispatched by an aroused citizenry..as is good and proper.
Today, you are perfectly willing to punish 90 people out of 100...simply becuase the ten are anti-social scumbags. And worst YET...those 90 people stoutly defend having to crawl on their bellies....in order to 'control' the other ten.
What ROT that is.....since those TEN do just what they danm please ANYWAY...

Oh, yeah, 'the world is a complex place'...at least it becomes so when lawyers, judges, governments MAKE it so...so instead of blowing off some scumbags HEAD as he rapes, robs, or pillages you or your stuff...you are instructed to lie back and try to enjoy it,...since the courts, police, lawyers, and government will take care of it FOR you...at a cost to you of JILLIONS of dollars, endless rules, regulations, your self respect, and your Constitutional Rights.......

About your wife ? Instruct her to REFUSE to go to the 'old guys ' house...since taking abuse should not be a part of a persons job...and threatening to kill somebody OUGHT to be 'jail time'.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact is that if you live here in Oklahoma and don't own a gun it's either because your a convicted felon or you don't want a gun. So if you suddenly lifted all gun bans then the only people that would go out and buy guns are the convicted felons because everyone else who wants guns already has them. I don't see that as punishment as there would be no current change in my lifestyle or your lifestyle. I'm not crawling on my belly, are you?

You also make an extremely flawed arguement assuming that everyone is going to carry a gun and use it correctly? Let me get this straight. We should let the sociopath have a gun. But when he shoots one of my family members dead it will be ok because I can just shoot him back? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Because at the end of the day an innocent person is still dead. To me it sounds like you are seriously advicating that we go back to the wildwest lifestyle. Lets everybody carry guns and if anyone wrongs you then just shoot them.

And my wife doesn't take care of anyone but I do know people who do. And if one person quits then they just send the next person in to do the job. And not everyone can just quite a job. The point is that it will always be somebodies wife or daughter. I guess just as long as its not a member of your family you don't care.

CompIllitR8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact is that if you live here in Oklahoma and don't own a gun it's either because your a convicted felon or you don't want a gun. So if you suddenly lifted all gun bans then the only people that would go out and buy guns are the convicted felons because everyone else who wants guns already has them. I don't see that as punishment as there would be no current change in my lifestyle or your lifestyle. I'm not crawling on my belly, are you?

You also make an extremely flawed arguement assuming that everyone is going to carry a gun and use it correctly? Let me get this straight. We should let the sociopath have a gun. But when he shoots one of my family members dead it will be ok because I can just shoot him back? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Because at the end of the day an innocent person is still dead. To me it sounds like you are seriously advicating that we go back to the wildwest lifestyle. Lets everybody carry guns and if anyone wrongs you then just shoot them.

And my wife doesn't take care of anyone but I do know people who do. And if one person quits then they just send the next person in to do the job. And not everyone can just quite a job. The point is that it will always be somebodies wife or daughter. I guess just as long as its not a member of your family you don't care.

I have told my wife to quit a job when she was afraid of a customer. We needed the money, but the police said they could do nothing but tell the guy to leave. Just her word that he was threatening her. She found another job.

Ridgerunner

Marksman
Reaction score
I don't see that as punishment as there would be no current change in my lifestyle or your lifestyle. I'm not crawling on my belly, are you?

I asked my daddy at ten years old if I could buy a rifle. He said no...I bought one anyway.

I realized many years later that I (after 1968) was STILL asking 'daddy' if I could buy a weapon......yeah, fella, crawling on your belly is what you do EVERY TIME you beg permission to buy another weapon. Really...does it REALLY make you 'feel like a man' to have some nameless, faceless 'whatever' on the other end of the phone pass judgement on whether you are a decent human being ?

You ought to take a few moments and educate yourself on the chart put out by JPFO DETAILING the millions of people killed by governments withing 50 years after they institute gun control...since you trust government more then you trust the thousands of 'psychos' you seem to surround yourself with.

Those 'psychos' are running about because of the failure of GOVERNMENT to take care of the problem...and INDIVIDUALS refusing to do what is necessary for the security of their families.

Oh...one more thing. You watch entirely too much TV. The old West was hardly the 'shoot 'em up' every day like you seem to believe. You stood FAR more chance of dying of lock-jaw then lead poisoning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom