Are you a real car guy (person)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like something Phil Robertson said to his wife when she asked him about taking care of all the weeds last summer. His reply was the first frost would take of them.
I grew up on a gravel road and driveway and couldn’t keep anything clean. I changed out my first clutch when I was 16 laying on the gravel driveway; my back still hurts from that. That experience is exactly why I have a 2 post lift now.

Living on and traveling dirt, sand, gravel and shale roads.........the words anal and clean are non existent. Maintenance yes, cleanliness no. My daughter's jk, my f350 and Ranger only get washed when it rains. The wife's Highlander gets washed at a drive thru about once a month. The two 66 and 71 broncos are the only thing I wash, they never see the mud or rain through.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Living on and traveling dirt, sand, gravel and shale roads.........the words anal and clean are non existent. Maintenance yes, cleanliness no. My daughter's jk, my f350 and Ranger only get washed when it rains. The wife's Highlander gets washed at a drive thru about once a month. The two 66 and 71 broncos are the only thing I wash, they never see the mud or rain through.
^^^ This right here.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HEY ! ....everyone badgering and asking him to come over...I asked first so get to the end of the line. You go Honey, your wife did right...now when's your next 0ff day?...The 1st ?...Come on, don't be shy....You'll be so proud when your done with this .... as I will be.
I’ll be right over after I get through my lists. It may be a month or fifty. Seems the lists never ends.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like something Phil Robertson said to his wife when she asked him about taking care of all the weeds last summer. His reply was the first frost would take of them.
I grew up on a gravel road and driveway and couldn’t keep anything clean. I changed out my first clutch when I was 16 laying on the gravel driveway; my back still hurts from that. That experience is exactly why I have a 2 post lift now.

Definitely, I've got a friend with a two post in his shop down the road and I take advantage of it as needed. Leave beer in his shop fridge in return lol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can pack too much grease in a ball joint or tie rod and end up breaking the seal.
I have seen mechanics pump grease into them until it pumps out of the rubber boot seal.

The very old cars had more of an umbrella type rubber cover to protect the joint from road debris.
Those can be pumped until it comes out as they were not water tight either so it would also push out any muddy water.

Today most joints are sealed very well and both ends of the rubber are captured and nothing gets in.
You pump that until it oozes grease and you just broke the seal.

U joints with Zerks were not usually installed on factory vehicles.
You can get them with it and you also get a hollow U joint and that is weaker than a solid one.
You can pump too much grease into a U-joint and make it act like it is hydraulically locked and it will fail sooner.
The clearances on the caps are very tight and this is where the lock up occurs. There is no where for it to go.

Well unless it is worn out a bit then it will come out.

I change my transmission fluid every other oil change 3,000 miles between oil changes.
Just pull the drain plug and replace what drained out.

Synthetics oils and greases are used in my cars and trailers.

Brake dust will get washed off when I take it to a car wash after the oil change.
That and all the mud etc.

When I get a new to me vehicle I power wash the under side and blow it dry and paint the undercarriage.
With rubberized coatings and or gloss black paint.

Sure makes it nice to work under a clean vehicle.

There are some heavy duty greasable u-joints with a smaller diameter hole in them and "No bearings" so not all are the same as we know.
https://spicerparts.com/parts/driveshaft/performance/spicer-extreme-u-joints

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The two 66 and 71 broncos are the only thing I wash, they never see the mud or rain through.[/QUOTE]

Man, this is crime. What no Pictures?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would say I was EVER a "real car guy"... when I was in high school I could identify the make, and get within a year or two of the model, at least most of the sportier cars.

Now.... there's about a 15 to 20% chance I'll try to get into someone else's car in the parking lot.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you’re a real car guy ‘cause you spelled the word “brake” correctly. I’m getting fed up with seeing it spelled “break”.

And my Jeep and brz would require daily cleaning due to the high performance brake pads I use. Brake dust everywhere. I like driving, not cleaning. Black wheels for the win.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you’re a real car guy ‘cause you spelled the word “brake” correctly. I’m getting fed up with seeing it spelled “break”.
BE247C36-8A0F-456D-BECE-3A1A18DD154B.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom