1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Are you a real car guy (person)?

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by SlugSlinger, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Duncandl

Duncandl Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    They make dust covers for that.

2. okcBob

okcBob Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No, but I’ve always aspired to be one.

3. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I guess I'm about as much of a car guy as you can be. I've got a 1972 Land Rover Series 3, a 1996 Land Rover Discovery, a 1976 Triumph Spitfire, a 2015 Subaru Forester, and a very modified Fiat 500 Sport. I do 99% of the work on all of them. I have mig, tig, a stick welder, and a mill. I build many of my Fiat performance parts. I take the Fiat to the Texas foothills each year for a Fiat Rally. Cruising the foothills in a slot car is a blast. I hope to get back into autocross soon.

4. Camo

Camo Sharpshooter

I just finished servicing the coolant. transfer case, power steering fluid change and brake fluid change. Last month it was front and rear differentials. I dont get as crazy about the paint like I used to, But you can bet my vehicles are maintained above what is required.

dennishoddy and SlugSlinger like this.
  5. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This morning I took my drivers license and removed Ice from my 1957 chevy windows.
    Fired it up and feathered the throttle on the NO choke 4 barrel carb.
    Headed across town to work on my crack house.
    Picked up a Scat sbc 383 Stroker at 11:30 am crank and tossed it in the front floor board and headed home at 3PM to eat some Lunch.
    I thawed out some Ground Deer and made taco meat.
    That 4 door 1957 chevy did transport that deer home from the woods.

Car guy..... Maybe.

dennishoddy likes this.
  6. beardking

beardking Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've seen you drive. I'm not believing the "feathered the throttle" part of that. I'm pretty sure you just have an on/off switch for a throttle.

dennishoddy and swampratt like this.
  7. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This is another pet peeve.

8. TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL Marksman

Another "pet peeve" of mine, people in car adds, especially eBay that list that the car has "duel exausts."

dennishoddy and swampratt like this.
  9. TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL Marksman

By the way, when the weather is warm I wash my own cars, wheels too. Wax 2X per year (wheels too). Proud to say my wife's car has only been through a carwash once, mine never (can't say if the dealerships had sent them through a carwash or not.) Up close there is a noticeable difference when you only handwash your car. I used to do oil changes as well, however having an 8 1/2 quart oil pan creates issues with spent oil. Easier to get it done elsewhere. As for engine work, haven't had to get it done yet asside from a warranty issue. Other vehicles I have replaced intakes and manifold gaskets, rebuilt carbs, swapped out cams, helicoiled cylinder heads (a rocker arm stud pulled out of a chevy V6 head) chnged out spark plugs, handled electrical issues, tuning and the like. My current car will probably get a supercharger at some point, unless I get a third car which will be an old school musclecar, 1960 through 1972. I got a laugh when two teenage kids in a thrift store found a timing light and didn't know what it was. I explained, they were even more puzzled because their parents never "tuned" their car. Does this make me a car guy? Maybe.

10. SPDguns

SPDguns Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The lift is at my house in my driveway. Am I a car guy? Draw your own conclusion!

IMG_4830.JPG 017.JPG