Auger, plunger, or...?? to clear plastic tampon applicator clog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, you read right.

I go to use the bathroom last night and I see a low water level in the toilet bowl with a pearlescent pink plastic applicator floating in the water. I use the toilet brush to fish it out and toss it in the can. I flush, like a dumbass, and the water level rises 1/2" below the top of the rim. I panic, and it drops a couple of inches, luckily. I asked my wife if she knew it was in there and she said, "Yes, I always flush them." I about shat my draws at that point. Of course we get into an argument about this, as if "I've always done it!" somehow excuses the fact that f'ing plastic doesn't break down in water.

So, now our master John is off limits and I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid an auger might not be able to retrieve X amount of plastic applicators and I'm afraid a plunger might just pack the things in tighter. I had no idea how many are in there at this point, and with 3 1/2 month old twins and a day nanny who cares for them while we're away, I'd rather not spend $XXX for a plumber to come clear out a clog that should never be there in the first place.

I swear, she's a very intelligent person, and I hate to bash her where she can't see it, but she doesn't have enough common sense to come in out of the rain.

What can I do at this point?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy..,

I'm with you, Spata. GC and I rented a cabin several years ago. The first night we were there the toilet backed up, all the sinks backed up and the shower basin was full of water ... :shocked: Even though it wasn't our cabin, I called a plumber friend of mine who just happened to live in the area. He came out and snaked the line and then told me that I shouldn't be flushing ANY feminine products down the toilet, no matter what they were made of. :teehee: I told him I couldn't tell him the last time I used any "feminine products" because I'd had a hysterectomy at 28 -- I was in my mid-40s when all this happened.

Anyhow, I'm gonna go with an auger as that is what my plumber buddy used ...

(BTW, my dad had 5 girls -- 4 of us hit puberty one right after another. He only had to tell us ONCE not to flush "that" stuff ... :lookaroun And he was really, really pissed when he told us! :rollingla)

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea where your sewer man hole is?

Plumbing is my weakest point when it comes to owning a home. I know how to shut off the main and individual lines by sinks and such, but other than that, I'm ignorant to plumbing. Because of this, I'm not sure if you're serious or not. I'm 99% sure this is some sort of innuendo, but I figured I'd ask for clarification. ;)

I'm with you, Spata. GC and I rented a cabin several years ago. The first night we were there the toilet backed up, all the sinks backed up and the shower basin was full of water ... :shocked: Even though it wasn't our cabin, I called a plumber friend of mine who just happened to live in the area. He came out and snaked the line and then told me that I shouldn't be flushing ANY feminine products down the toilet, no matter what they were made of. :teehee: I told him I couldn't tell him the last time I used any "feminine products" because I'd had a hysterectomy at 28 -- I was in my mid-40s when all this happened.

Anyhow, I'm gonna go with an auger as that is what my plumber buddy used ...

(BTW, my dad had 5 girls -- 4 of us hit puberty one right after another. He only had to tell us ONCE not to flush "that" stuff ... :lookaroun And he was really, really pissed when he told us! :rollingla)

Yeah, for reasons I mentioned above, I'm pretty anal about what gets flushed. When cleaning up #2, I use 3 squares, max, per swipe, folded and folded until my only other option is scraping away the gunk with my fingernails. Not knowing about plumbing means that I do whatever I can to baby our system, which is why I'm super pissed about this scenario.

I just don't know what can grab those plastic applicators, though perhaps they're hanging out with buddies in which they helped applicate?

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any way to get to a clean out for that bathroom? I have seen plumbers go through the vent on the roof to clear a plug out. You can rent different sewer snakes at the different rental type places, but by the time you do that, and jack with it, sometimes it is better to just bite the bullet and get a pro to get it done.

I know one way to get through to my wife is to show her a bill for fixing a screw up that she has done.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, for reasons I mentioned above, I'm pretty anal about what gets flushed. When cleaning up #2, I use 3 squares, max, per swipe, folded and folded until my only other option is scraping away the gunk with my fingernails. Not knowing about plumbing means that I do whatever I can to baby our system, which is why I'm super pissed about this scenario.

I just don't know what can grab those plastic applicators, though perhaps they're hanging out with buddies in which they helped applicate?

God I wish you'd talk to GC ... Remember my thread about unclogging a toilet with Dawn dishsoap and warm water?? :grumble:

I'd almost bet you my last dollar that where there is one plastic applicator, there are many plastic applicators. Here's another vote for biting the bullet and calling a plumber ... CB's right, you could try to do it yourself, but plastic's different that paper products, and you might wind up having to call the pros anyway ...

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After I read again that you admit that plumbing is your "weakest" area, I am now fully voting (as if I get a vote in this, LOL!) for a professional. I know if I tried to tackle this particular situation, after already being pissed off at my wife, I would probably end up with much more money being spent on beer, hotels (when I really screwed it up more and we had to go live in one while they where fixing my screw up), and possibly marriage counseling.

As a friend of mine if fond of saying in situations like this, "It's cheaper than alimony".

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is stopped up. Plunge it vigorously with plunger. It that doesn't work use an auger. Plunging it will only work if the stoppage is in the toilet, mostly. Most augers only go a little past the toilet outlet. If neither of these works wait till in the morning, if it still won't flush call for help. At least you'll be one of the first calls of the day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom